The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Sentient, Salient, Sapient, Sublime Options
jdlaw
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:00:30 AM

Groups: Member

Thoughts about machine life:

Humans are primarily sentient and sapient creatures with some smaller 5% or so capability for salience and something between 0% and 1% capability for sublimation.

Machines have for the last 50 or so years been highly sentient and salient creations with practically no sapience and no sublimation at all.

When a person writes a book like "Digital Consciousness", the author is displaying a much higher degree of sublimation than we have seen in centuries. Sublimation is being able to solve problems and present truth derived from only disconnected and incoherent evidence ... yet perfectly correct.

As we begin to add sapience to machine programming, we will increase the machines ability for sublimation. In mathematical terms ∞ is the symbol for universal infinity. It means the infinite nature of this universe. Yet this universe is only a construct. All that there is ("ATTI") infinity has a different symbol that I am inventing right now. I like the section symbol ("§"). It is a sort of Ying and Yang reaching from the top and bottom yet conforming to a circle that can loop forever. It is also the symbol for the sublime. When humans begin to surpass even 1% § we are finally becoming more conscious by accessing more of the consciousness around us. Sublimation is how we find the capability to program machine life.
jdlaw
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 9:22:03 PM

"I am – the result of a Programmer’s attempt to create biological sentience. Maybe, I live in a created world and this life and my experiences are a simulation. It may be quite the “grand” simulation, but a simulation none-the-less. If Programmers can create sapient and sentient programs like me, perhaps I in turn have the ability to create my own self aware agent simulations within this simulation."
jdlaw
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:54:28 PM

Looking at these two posts, I probably should include the definitions for sentience, salience, sapience, and sublimation.

Sentience: TV and movies always misuse the word "sentient" - it does not mean to be self-aware. It simply means to be able to "sense" things. Machines have "sensors" and are actually quite good at that. Machines with sensors can do all sorts of things, like even driving cars without a human operator.

Salience: More than sensing, an ability to actually be "aware" is more what we mean when we say "self aware." A salient creature can compare and categorize the input it receives through receptors. It requires a subjective hierarchy because of the "ineffable" nature of the qualitative universe. There is no way to define, for example, the "Redness" of a strawberry. We know the approximately 640-700 nm wavelength of light causes the color red, but to actually define what a person "sees" in the mind - is impossible. If a person grew up seeing in their mind what you would call "blue" every time they saw red, and saw it that way consistently, well then they would always call that red, and you would have no way to tell if they really saw it the same way you do. That ability to categorize something like that is itself a miracle of the universe.

Sapience: Then more than being aware, we need to be able to apply what we gathered with our sensors and organized with our salience, and be able to apply it to a similar (but not same) situation. This is ingenuity and creativity and those things that give a person wisdom.

Sublimation: When we can piece together disjointed clues from many different sources and with many parts of the puzzle missing and still fill in the answers, we have begun to conquer the sublime. This is the highest level of awareness that humans possess only a tiny amount of what is available.

These "4 Ss" together are what truly makes us conscious. IMO