Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Kurzweil's TED talk (Feb 2005): Options
Neo
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:18:14 PM
Groups: Member

jdlaw
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 4:53:32 AM

A subtle yet significant concept for any discussion in transhumanism is that from a purely "computational intelligence" point of view, the intelligence of man has been surpassed since the 1950s or early 60s. I remember my Mother’s mechanical calculator (adding machine) that could multiply faster than I could. I don’t know if you can remember the “chi-ching, chi-ching, chi-ching” of those machines as clearly as I can, but they were pretty darn fast in their time.

In a 1996 match with IBM's Deep Blue that Kasparov lost his first game to a computer at tournament time controls in Deep Blue - Kasparov, 1996, Game 1. This game was, in fact, the first time a reigning world champion had lost to a computer using regular time controls. However, Kasparov regrouped to win three and draw two of the remaining five games of the match, for a convincing victory.

In May 1997, an updated version of Deep Blue defeated Kasparov 3½-2½ in a return match. The latter claimed that IBM had cheated by using a human player during the game to increase the strategic strength of the computer. A documentary mainly about the confrontation was made in 2003, titled Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine. IBM keeps a web site of the event. While not an official world championship, the outcome of the match was taken by some to mean that the strongest player in the world was a computer. Today, the most sophisticated computerized chess machines almost always out do the humans.

Kind of makes you wonder whether computational intelligence is the secret to intelligence at all. Hmmm?
stendec
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 4:51:05 AM

I think computational intelligence is only half the story (or perhaps even just 1/4 of the story).

The clue to creating true AI could be the way the biological brain being divided into two main hemispheres, each dedicated to separate types of "processing". Artificial computational intelligence has easily surpassed our left-brain calculation ability, but the "overseer" which is our right-brain, has yet to be truly mimicked artificially.

Perhaps IBMs Blue Brain project will achieve this feat, by modelling from the bottom-up, neuron-by-neuron. They predict a fully functional brain (complete with conscious self-awareness) in as little as 15 years - the main limiation to speed in this project, being current computing power.

Just as the Human Genome Project came in well ahead of time, thanks to Moore's Law automating increasing chunks of the project as time went on, maybe the same thing will happen for Blue Brain. Although I guess IBM have already factored in Moore's Law to their estimates.