The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Programmed Multiverse? Parallel Universes? Options
ebb101
Posted: Saturday, December 25, 2010 8:38:45 AM
Groups: Member

The Universe Solved talks about how our universe is programmed.
Does this extend throughout the Multiverse--the possible infinite collection of physical universes?
And parallel universes--the potential for other unobservable universes as explained by quantum mechanics?
What about multiple dimensions?
RogerV
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 2:13:59 AM

It's more logically consistent to conceive that all so-called reality, multi-verse reality, meta reality, etc., is implemented in hierarchical manner upon essentially the same computational substrate. In other words, there does not exist at any level a physical universe that is in any manner like the virtual reality of our own universe. Whatever ultimate underpinning that exist as the basis of computational substrate on which all else is erected, is not at all like anything we would conceive based on our experience in our virtual reality universe (which is just one designed sub program).

One could speculate on what the essential characteristics of the ultimate substrate might be like - the closest conceptual entity we might relate it to would be cellar automata (many are probably familiar with Conway's Game of Life). To posit why there is any ultimate substrate that has any existence at all, though, seems to be an impenetrable question. The question of "why is there something instead of nothing" remains as enigmatic as ever. My own suspicion is that not even God can answer that question, hence why God refers to himself as the Great I Am and leaves it at that.

One thing that's kind of interesting to ponder is to ask yourself, do you distinctly remember when you became self-aware? I suspect that for most us, that is not a particularly distinct event of realization that we can recall as a memory. There was some continuum that we traversed across through some threshold of self-awareness.
jim
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 4:01:33 PM

There is so much to talk about on this topic! Some random ideas...

The programmed models holds up very well, as RogerV points out. And, as long as there are mechanisms through which different dimensions/multiple universes/parallel realities can detect each other, there is likely a single ultimate substrate. For examples, see the detection of dark matter, the cosmologists who see echos of previous universes in ours (see http://is.gd/iVyrw), some of the retrocausality experiments.

Multiple dimensions is simple mathematically, but only difficult for us to comprehend because the "reality substrate" that we live in and are able to perceive seems to consist of 3 spatial dimensions. A computer has no problem "seeing" things in any number of dimensions, but we are limited to the capacities of our senses. Another spatial dimension could easily contain parallel realities. Maybe we even have the means to detect them, but can's yet because we haven't advanced enough, or found the switch in the brain or DNA or whatever, that "changes the channel."

Another metaphor that I like to use is the TV. A 3D TV gives us the ability to place a broadcast event in 3 spatial dimensions and in time. Yet there is another dimension - the channel. And another - the network of channels. So, to really define that place in time, you need to know the 4 familiar dimensions plus channel (47, for example), and network (Time Warner, SoCal, for example).

In computational terms, multiple processes can be instantiated in parallel with each other. Imagine a virtual reality game that people can log into and play. Theoretically, many instances of that game can run on the same computer, but with different "virtual spaces." The ability to travel from one instance to another is possible even with today's technology, and only limited by the imagination of the programmer. If one were to draw a diagram of those parallel processes and their instantiations, it would look identical to the bubble universe multiverse theory favored by many cosmologists.
ebb101
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:57:09 AM

Why does my reality channel seem to be the Cartoon Network?
jim
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:58:12 AM

Haha. I guess it could be worse. It could be the Horror Channel.
LadyBe
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:54:42 AM

RogerV-you mentioned when did we realize we became self aware? I hope I understand this right and say that I became
self aware when I was three years old. I distinctly remember that one particular day )from which I was aware of seeing and
hearing and observing things through my eyes. I don't recall anything prior to that time however. I wish someone could
explain to me what exactly (in terms I can understand)what dimensions are...I read somewhere that scientists believe there
are as many as 11 dimensions in our world! (info from "The Universe Solved under "Brain Food"). Anxious
spearshaker
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 12:05:56 PM

Length, width and breadth are the dimensions we can comprehend. There are no others. None, period. These are all distance measures.

It turns out that relativity can be nicely expressed mathematically if one multiplies a time period by c, the speed of light, to get yet another distance measure. A four-dimensional "distance" becomes very fundamental mathematically then, in physics. Is this really a "distance"? Your answer is as good as anyone's. It certainly behaves so in the mathematical treatment of the physical problems to which it pertains. If speeds are much slower than light-speed, the four-dimensional view is unnecessary, and just a tedious complication.

Any number of dimensions can be so added to length, width and breadth. There are two requirements: that each dimension ultimately have the correct units (meters, for example) and, importantly, be independent of all the other dimensions. For example, changing the length of an object does not affect its width, its depth, or the time of its observation.

That's all there is; there is no more. Dimensions can be defined ad infinitum. Do they have meaning beyond their utility in theories? You are as capable of deciding issues like this as anyone.
jim
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:16:38 PM

LadyBe wrote:
I wish someone could explain to me what exactly (in terms I can understand)what dimensions are...I read somewhere that scientists believe there are as many as 11 dimensions in our world! (info from "The Universe Solved under "Brain Food"). Anxious

To answer LadyBe's question, it is the string theorists (one of the current theories of matter and reality) that say that there may be 11 dimensions. It is actually possible to have more than 3 spatial dimensions as that section of my book outlines. However, the reason the string theorists came up with this is not because they have observed these dimensions, but rather because the math in their model requires it. For now, it is just interesting speculation. For more, see my post above. From a programmed reality standpoint, we could have as many dimensions as we want. They are just unique coordinates that fully describe a positing in space and time. Hope that helps.
sambuca
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:16:27 AM

now i understand that the countless trillions of galaxies in our particular universe each possess a black hole in their center that is sucking all matter and light in it's vicinity through a funnel which narrows down to a point where all this matter and light from the whole galaxy eventually exits as a singularity --a tiny pea sized particle that contains the contents of the previous galaxy which becomes a "big bang" birth of a new universe in another dimension and this is happening all over our universe for trillions of galaxies----ok--this is getting to be too much---this is where i get off---i aint thinkin about this stuff no more