Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What is tugging at the Universe??? Options
jim
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 8:24:10 PM

Groups: Member

terrorgoat
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 8:39:41 PM

Ok, I'm not smart enough to figure out what dark matter is or any of the math involved. You guys can make fun of me if nothing else. Are they saying that all these galaxies are moving to something? Does that mean our galaxy is moving there too? Or is it an object in space?

"The only true wisdom exists in knowing that you know nothing."
- The Mighty Socrates (Not the fake Socrates Plato wrote about in "The Republic.")
jim
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 4:30:27 PM

Hi terrorgoat. Welcome to the forum - great to have you! I think you'll find that despite the topics covered, we're a pretty friendly bunch here. Some science blogs seem to have people that just enjoy nastily sparring with each other, but you *probably* won't find that here.

Everything in the universe is moving relative to everything else and most of the motions make sense to cosmologists. For example, the motion of our sun relative to other stars is explained by the rotation of our galaxy plus some other "local" star movements. But when you talk about the motion of an entire galaxy, it's kind of hard to define a reference point, as in "motion with respect to what?" Generally the reference point on intergalactic scales is the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB), which is sort of a uniform expansion of space against all other points, kind of like the expansion of bread in the oven. But what has been discovered is that rather than all galaxies moving away from each other in a uniform way, and in proportion to the CMB, many seem to be moving in the same direction, in a way not described by any known cosmological process. Some speculate it is due to a neighboring universe, or matter in another dimension, or dark matter, or some combination of these. Check out the Wikipedia entry for "dark flow" for more on this.

At least that is what I get out of this article. Not being an astronomer, I would certainly have to defer to anyone with more of a background in cosmology to give a better explanation.
Guillermo
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:27:00 PM

So it looks like the Universe does have a center and that center is pulling everything towards it. I used to think that the Universe has no center but now after reading this article I have my doubts. Anxious

"We are living in a computer programmed reality."
- Philip K. Dick, 1977