The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Mr. Wizard Options
jdlaw
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 9:07:33 PM

Groups: Member

Tooter Turtle was a cartoon about a rather dopey-looking, Mortimer Snerdish talking turtle who first appeared on TV in 1960, as a segment, along with The Hunter (a Foghorn Leghornish detective dog), as part of the King Leonardo program.

Tooter's segment was always a simple morality play, which involved Tooter calling on his friend, Mr. Wizard the Lizard, to change his life to some other destiny. He usually accompanied his request with the phrase "Please, Mr. Wizard; it's what I want to be!" Since none of Tooter's alternate lives ever worked out, the moral of each segment was always the same: "There's no place like home", or perhaps "Be satisfied with your lot."

When Tooter's trip finally became a catastrophe, he always called out the same thing, the famous, "Help me, Mr. Wizard!" Mr. Wizard would rescue him with the incantation, "Drizzle, drazzle, druzzle, drome; time for zis one to come home." Then, Mr. Wizard would always give Tooter the same advice: "Be just vhat you is, not vhat you is not. Folks vhat do zis are ze happiest lot." Tooter never learned, though.

jim
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 9:29:06 PM

good advice for any faith
jdlaw
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 6:00:04 AM

If by faith you mean religion, then the advice is kind of irrelavant. But if you mean belief in a programmed reality, then this old cartoon from the 1960s kind of had the philosophy right. Mr. Wizard, although not "the" programmer, represented some connection to the programmer. He was able to send Tooter on these amazing adventures in alternate realities. All of those realities were scary, but Tooter still wanted to go. He wanted to see what all sorts of life were like. Faith (belief in a programmed reality) then will force you to beg the question, did I choose this programmed reality or was I just put here for another entity's purposes?
minorwork
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:36:28 PM

jdlaw wrote:
If by faith you mean religion, then the advice is kind of irrelavant. But if you mean belief in a programmed reality, then this old cartoon from the 1960s kind of had the philosophy right. Mr. Wizard, although not "the" programmer, represented some connection to the programmer. He was able to send Tooter on these amazing adventures in alternate realities. All of those realities were scary, but Tooter still wanted to go. He wanted to see what all sorts of life were like. Faith (belief in a programmed reality) then will force you to beg the question, did I choose this programmed reality or was I just put here for another entity's purposes?
Become that entity. Tooter never explored himself. There is plenty of adventure in that enterprise.

The most merciful thing in the world ... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but someday the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality... That we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.� - H. P. Lovecraft