The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The Game of reality Options
GodIsWearingBlack
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:11:00 PM
Groups: Member

I literally just listened to an old Coast To Coast AM show today, from February this year, so i haven't read the book yet, and i don't know an awful lot about the concepts in general, other than those discussed on the show, Jim, and from what i've read on the forums.

But the one thing that did occur to me upon hearing some of the ideas and assumptions, was of a UK TV show called Red Dwarf, and an episode entitled Back To Reality. My idea is only loosely based on this, so bear with me. Anxious

I'm not comfortable with the idea of another entity controlling our existence, or at least our perceived existence, maybe that's because i'm generally not comfortable about the lack of control, or maybe it's because i can't make sense of it, i'm honestly not sure, but either way, it doesn't ring true to me.

However, the idea that we ourselves are something more, perhaps even beings that never die, or face danger, looking for kicks, or a bit of fun, i can live with.
What if we are the ETs, living in a different dimension, where nothing is feared anymore, nothing is dangerous, we can't die or get hurt, we can't take risks or go wrong to any real level. Much in the same way that we ourselves (in this reality) might feel now about things like Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Demons, etc.
As we are now, we turn to movies, games, TV shows, for our escapism, or for a little excitement and danger and fear. Or we may even go to the roller coaster rides, which although appearing dangerous and scary, are quite, quite safe. Kind of a controlled danger/fear experience.

So, as these "other beings", we turn to this "alternative reality" game. We're sat in pods, hooked up to machines, slumming it if you will, experiencing a life we can't possibly experience in our real time/existence.

Because we're unable to die, time obviously isn't an issue, we could literally play this "game" for 70 years, from birth to death of the character, experiencing every facet in real time. Like the choice you get in playing sports games, sometimes, where you can choose the lengths of game you will play, from 5 minutes per half, to real time.
We could get to make all of the choices, even down to choosing our character in the first place, but rather than choosing "Jimmy 'The Chin' Soprano", whose special strength is fist fighting and shootouts in alleyways, we get to choose which family we want to be born into.
There would be a real time list of which other characters in the game are pregnant and choose something that offers a suitable challenge, or chance of real fun. For a real challenge for example, you might choose to be the newborn baby of a crack addict, or for some real fun you might choose to be the spoilt first child of a wealthy couple living the dream.

We that play the game, might even be like a bunch of teenagers sitting around smoking pot and injecting the latest drugs into our arms on a weekend, because we're bored and disillusioned with the real world we live in. Much like a rich kid, bored with the disingenuous and comfortable life their parents offer, turning to drink, crime and depravity as a way of going against the machine and conjuring up some excitement and risk.

I won't bore everyone with the full details of my imagination, and to be honest i literally only came up with it half an hour ago, so it's not finalised or complete in any way, in fact, in another half hour it might be nothing but a ridiculous, mock-worthy brain fart.

One other little thing though, which did occur to me, which i haven't had time to think about yet:
What if we are in fact the "bad angels", from the bible. Ie. Lucifer and the third of heaven that took his side in the great battle. And this is our punishment, to live life as human beings, vulnerable, fallible, finite and without our knowledge and understanding of the past. Either this life is a 2nd chance, hence suffering and tests, to prove us worthy or show God we're worth another chance. Or, this is just God kicking us around a bit, taking pleasure in his revenge. Think
jdlaw
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:57:10 PM

Hey God!

I think you'll fit right into this forum very well. Many people have a hard time at first with understanding this programmed reality thing -- tending to think that a programmed reality must necessarily be mutually exclusive with all the other concepts of reality out there. Programmed reality, however, is just a framework from which we build on and find that it pretty much works for all situations and doesn't contradict anything else we already know. That makes it the perfect scientific theory -- it fits in so well -- just like you.

Red Dwarf is great! I loved that episode.
jim
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:06:16 PM

Hello GodIsWearingBlack!
And welcome to the forum. Applause Great to have you. Your thoughts and imaginings are right there with the rest of ours.

Commenting on your post, I definitely like the idea that our immortality might be the reason that we don't mind living out entire human lives. It makes total sense. The only difficulty I have with the scenarios you present is motivation. How many bored teenage ETs do you think would choose either a life of poverty or a life of humdrum existence (working in a cube, dealing with life's banal problems like "should I starch my shirts") which two categories probably cover 99% of all of humanity (including yours truly). Wouldn't everyone want to be James Bond? But you can't have a functioning society if everyone is 007. As the great Judge Smales said from that philosophical gem of a movie, Caddyshack, "The world needs ditch diggers, too." It also reminds me of an experiment that was done on lab rats. When presented with two paddles in their cage, one which delivered a morsel of food upon being pressed, and the other delivering a stimulation to the pleasure center of their brain, all rats kept pressing the pleasure paddle, to the point of starvation. If we really had the ability to conjure any fantasy reality we wanted, would it be this?

So, either most people out there are NPCs (non player characters) or there is much more to our souls than disillusionment and boredom. Thoughts?
GodIsWearingBlack
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:42:24 AM

I guess it would really depend on what the "living" experience of the being is, outside of the game. To us, it may seem dull and uninteresting, but maybe if the only other life you know is one of suffering, or boredom to the Nth degree, because you can't die, can't get hurt, can't starve, etc, you might see the humdrum of human life as slightly more interesting.
There's often stories of rich folk throwing off their designer suits and expensive cars, to slum it and work on building sites, etc. Because they want the experience of living life as a normal person. The game would be a really extreme version of this.
Also, even the very fact that we are immortal beings, unable to come to harm or die, might be enough of a cause to push us into wanting to experience mortality.
We even have literature from our history that claims this has been done. Jesus being the big one, but there were others before him, from other religions and belief systems. Could that itself be an easter egg? A clue to the game, and possibly even a hint at the objectives? It would be kind of ironic if the object of the game was to become Christ-like. That God himself doesn't exist and Jesus was merely a character who led the way, but that we ourselves are gods, and should try and become more like the real us, within the game. <my brain hurts now>
jim
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 10:37:54 PM

well, i certainly wouldn't rule out any possibility. and you offer some interesting arguments.

there is a school of thought that reminds me of your ideas. that is that our souls or consciousness are small portions of the greater consciousness of god, the universal spirit. or whomever created us. and the reason that our consciousnesses even exist is because it is the only way for the universal spirit to experience reality - sensory experiences can only occur in a physical body. so we are each like the ends of the roots of a tree, seeking out sensory experiences to nourish the whole. again, there is a good analogy with computational systems. transducers convert the real world into signals that the central processing unit can do something with.

one more thought... while it is certainly possible that some ET might be so bored or have so much suffering as you describe, it just doesn't seem logical to me that a civilization could advance far enough technologically to develop total immersion full universe simulations, yet they haven't figured out how to avoid suffering and boredom, two attributes that might be associated with being unenlightened. and, of course, that is a very human point of view, but if "humanity" is an invention of these ETs, i would be surprised that an unenlightened civilization could dream up and play out an enlightened one.
GodIsWearingBlack
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 1:44:57 AM

jim wrote:

one more thought... while it is certainly possible that some ET might be so bored or have so much suffering as you describe, it just doesn't seem logical to me that a civilization could advance far enough technologically to develop total immersion full universe simulations, yet they haven't figured out how to avoid suffering and boredom, two attributes that might be associated with being unenlightened. and, of course, that is a very human point of view, but if "humanity" is an invention of these ETs, i would be surprised that an unenlightened civilization could dream up and play out an enlightened one.

Does technological advancement really equal happiness though? Our own history of lost civilisations and ancient societies seem to suggest that actually when societies get happier and more pleasing to their own senses, they tend to fall apart and break down.

Is our existence really that "enlightened?" It might appear that way to us, but from an outside perspective, ie. from the perspective of the ETs, we might be just a bit of light-hearted fun. We could even be a game for 3-6 year olds.
JIVAKIND
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 6:48:59 PM

rather long winded posts in this forum .
its like a story-telling place for out of work authors.
If reality is programmed (and it is) it is so nested within itself as to create free will anyway.
the complexity of the system i think guarentees free will, more than anyone would/will need .

Although if you are a stupid , or ignorant person , the level of simulatory experience would markedly increase id say .