The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

John Zerzan on technology. Options
Neo
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:12:35 PM
Groups: Member

Good intro to this from 'vaathi' on the side. Even though I'm a big technology fan and have great hopes for it making our world a much better place to live in, he makes some very interesting points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_8hZkXLU-w

There is no spoon.
jdlaw
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 6:31:26 AM

What worries me is that some confused 13 year old kid will read or watch a youtube video on John Zerzan's anti-civilization anarcho-primitivism and that video will be just the thing to put them over the edge and decide that the best thing to do for society is go out and wipe as many of them as possible, and then take yourself along. No. I think Zerzan's pessimistic devolution and destruction of technology is just one twisted point of view. How do we know that his idea of devolution (meaning de-evolution) isn't actally toward something better? Maybe a world of "mechas" (taken from Stephen Spielberg movie "AI") would be a better place after all.
Neo
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 4:40:14 PM

I thought that his point about many young people today having dozens of 'myspace' friends but few if any real ones has merit. The other side of the coin, as it were. I mean, posting here is great in that it's a forumDrool where we can explore these issues, but as Clifford Stroll said (I paraphrase), it's hard to beat sitting down in front of a coffee with someone. The human touch. Technology has made this kind of forum (taking forums as a generic example here) possible, but I'm sure that there are many people out there on the internet in rooms by themselves feeling alone and alienated, for whom the net is a substitute of sorts for a lack of 'connention' in the real world.

There is no spoon.
jim
Posted: Tuesday, April 1, 2008 4:33:07 PM

i think pretty much everything he says has some merit. but to say "the world is less connected" is a definitive statement that really can't be made without a dozen qualifications. i do see how we are spending more time in chat rooms (present company included Angel ) and less time socially interacting. living in a city, i also notice that everybody walks down the street completely in their own little world, thumbing away at a blackberry, listening to the ipod. nobody smiles and says hello anymore.

if we continue this trend, it will be really easy for people to accept the tranhumanists dream of merging with machines. i think zerzan kept his more radical views to himself on that particular clip and to that end, i would say that he is a bit of an extremist.