The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Wolfram's NKS has defeated and transcended the software complexity/utility issue! Options
setAI
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:51:49 AM
Groups: Member

I posit that there really can be no legitimate arguments against acceleration of novelty/information complexity toward a Singularity- but if one must choose the least wrong criticism I have always said that it is Lanier's software argument that Jim seems to offer as his main argument against acceleration-

the simple fact is that as long as humans develop high-level software there can be NO accelerating progress because the tools of the human mind aren't accelerating - the brain hasn't changed in a million years- so how can one argue for acceleration in software complexity/utility?

the issue here is the myopic anthropocentric view of the tiny period that humans have been engineering software-

just as the genome project proceeded slowly and linearly at first but then had a vast leap to completion through the sloppy process of shotgun sequencing- Stephen Wolfram's NKS approach that sorts and searches for utility and function in the Computational Universe is about to do the same for software: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60P7717-XOQ http://vimeo.com/7466113

by mining the Computational Universe for utility we have a new paradigm that has actually made software catch-up with and out pace hardware in one great leap! by simply running searches through the Configuration Space of all possible programs we can discover ideas/designs for software and hardware/ as well as actual 'kernel'/seeds for SAI and even discover extra-terrestrial intelligence and culture by simply running a Schmidhuber search algorithm that enumerates and sorts through all possible universes for some instance of utility or function- such searches would find forms that are incomprehensible to us- and perhaps even SIMPLER than what we already have- yet they would produce things like sentient transconscious mind or any software tool you can imagine- a new paradigm where you specify function but get a black box that you could likely never unravel to discover it's secrets and methods- a piece of code that just WORKS-

so we have the software means to find software of ANY possible complexity and function- but now we must wait for the brute force of hardware to give us enough ops to do such searches in reasonable amounts of time-

NKS has defeated and transcended Jaron Lanier's software issue!

this approach in AI accomplishes the same method as uploading- that is not trying to re-invent the wheel- Nature has ALREADY invented AI in the human neocortex so we should simply record/copy that process instead of trying to create AI from code- or mine the Computational Universe for ALL POSSIBLE kinds of mind-

Terence McKenna said that mankind likes to think his progress is like striving upward on a ladder or staircase- but if he would stop and look around he would see he was walking in place on an ascending escalator - the evolution of the universe itself drives the acceleration so regardless of our efforts the tools emerge as they are needed despite any road blocks we believe block our path
Neo
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:59:34 PM

setAI wrote:

Terence McKenna said that mankind likes to think his progress is like striving upward on a ladder or staircase- but if he would stop and look around he would see he was walking in place on an ascending escalator - the evolution of the universe itself drives the acceleration so regardless of our efforts the tools emerge as they are needed despite any road blocks we believe block our path

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8v8mgwuubU

Hi setA1. I'm sure Jim won't mind me saying welcome aboard, very profound posts indeed. As to the vid above, like Jim says in his book, not endorsing the use of DMT (or other drugs), it's just part of an interesting McKenna Vid.

There is no spoon.
Tracy
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:44:19 AM

Sorry I didn't read any of this thread.
I just watched that first youtube vid.
Crazy stuff.
"Could it be that somewhere in the Computational Universe we will find the Physical Universe?"
Crazy.
Tracy
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:49:17 AM

That first image you see when he starts talking about the "network."
Crazy.
I'll be watching that vid over and over again. Think
Tracy
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:56:20 AM

"Well, apparently he's gone crazy." :d/
Neo