The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

There's more to Singularity studies than Kurzweil Options
jim
Posted: Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:29:30 PM

Groups: Member

Good article with a list of interesting researchers and authors regarding the Singularity:

Sentient Developments: It's not all about Ray: There's more to Singularity studies than Kurzweil
Neo
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 6:04:33 PM

True, but he is most definitely a key player. It also seems true that he has more detractors these days, some of which are of the mean-spirited variety. Perhaps this is because his ideas are now a little more 'mainstream', therefore he's a more 'legitimite' target for those who find his ideas outlandish. Polite dabates are fine, ad hominum attacts (eg he's a kook) are something else.

But yes, versions of the Singularity such as Vinge's "hard take-off" do not get nearly the coverage of Kurzweil's, despite Vernor's impressive insights and achievements ("True Names" is a book I highly recommend, a tour de force). All in all I agree with this article

There is no spoon.
jim
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 11:08:14 PM

Hey, welcome back, Mr. Anderson... er, I mean, Neo. You are still number 1 in posts, but that lead is shrinking. Think

I agree with your assessment of Ray K (his "street" name). There is a mean-spirited element throughout the scientific community; you barely need to scratch the surface of science blogs to find it. That reaction to him is most likely due to his popularity, and hence new-found exposure to that element.