The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Silenced Options
RedDog
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:04:05 PM

Groups: Member

Jim,

I'm starting to experience a greater truth about these truths you are trying to communicate
to a broader audience.
There appears to be some kind of glitch that is preventing these kinds of truths from
expanding outwards like they used to a generation ago.

Even though we have a grand digital presence, I'm experiencing a kind of muffling
of any dialog that probes the boundries of this reality.

Are you too?
Guillermo
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 2:54:08 PM

Although the question seems directed to Jim, I will post here. I don't think that there is some kind of glitch that is preventing these kinds of truths from
expanding outwards as you say, for example, Mr. Elvidge is booked for an interview on Coast to Coast AM on November, 29.

He will discuss how his passion for the nuances of physics led him to develop a case for a programmed reality of the universe, other dimensions, and the singularity concept.

Coast to Coast AM has the largest nighttime radio audience in the United States, reaching an estimated 3 to 5 million Americans seven days a week on AM radio. More info at http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2010/11/29

"We are living in a computer programmed reality."
- Philip K. Dick, 1977
JF
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 4:37:30 AM

Its great that Jim is on C to C AM again, I can hardly wait. I hope that millions of more people will ponder his observations & thesis & check out his & other cool books about the nature of reality.
http://www.theuniversesolved.com/recommendedbooks.htm
jim
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 7:05:25 PM

Hi RedDog,

Personally, I am not noticing anything too different than the usual combination of "push back" against things that are novel and innovative, and the intentional ignoring of topics that are uncomfortable for the scientific status quo. For example, an archaeologist or anthropologist may completely ignore finds or evidence that run counter to the conventional view. Otherwise, they might experience ridicule, lose funding, be denied tenure, etc. So they stay within their comfort zone. I'm sure this applies to the ideas of Programmed Reality, as they might threaten many avenues of research, while opening up others that are more centered in different fields, like computer science, logic and philosophy, AI, etc.

So, for example, it is not hard to get booked on talk shows that are open to alternative points of view. But difficult to get booked on those that are grounded in the status quo (e.g. NPR). The web is full of alternative ideas that no one seems to squash. However, the sheer numbers of sites make it more difficult for truly innovative sites to get noticed. I do find it surprising how few scientists give much thought to these ideas, as they are not inconsistent with the scientific method, nor with proven principles such as logic and virtual reality programming. However, I ascribe that to the effects mentioned above.

But please elaborate on some specific examples of the glitch that you are referring to. Such statistically significant "glitches" may in themselves be good evidence for the programmed reality. By that, I am thinking of an example of the "evening" effect that I have referred to before. Statistically, negative experiences should be just as likely to follow a negative experience as a positive one. However, there seems to be a tendency for cultures to bounce back from apparent and impending doom or, alternatively, from a period of bliss (e.g. the Depression after the Roaring 20's, Hitler not winning WWII, the Doomsday clock reversing direction at 2 seconds to midnight, the population explosion reversing, etc.) A possible explanation could be the need for the Program to maintain things within certain levels in order for it to continue to function. As a result, a believer in Programmed Reality might predict that runaway global warming can NOT occur. Nor can the Singularity.

So let's keep looking for those glitches.
RedDog
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 4:59:37 PM

Jim,
Even with the exposure you have on the web and radio, I'm seeing from inside this forum, like many other nationally recognized authors, very little interaction or following in these venues. How do you know if you are actually reaching people, beyond the very few that have responded here?
C2C with over 15 million listeners should generate thousands of interested..."followers" that do more than just buy your book.
Or am I expecting too much?
Since nobody can really be "told" what the matrix is, there should be more people asking for proof. Right?
What is your perspective of your audience?
RogerV
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:07:13 PM

Not sure about this area of inquiry being silenced. I find a trail of some respectable thinkers that have delved into this area in some related fashion - going back to at least the '70s.

The study of cellar automata is fundamental to the programmed/virtual reality concept as it is likely the best candidate for an elemental computation construct. Steven Wolfram, no less, wrote a very serious book on that subject a number of years ago:

A New Kind of Science

This year’s great breakthrough in the cellar automata field:

First replicating creature spawned in life simulator

First self-replicating mathematical creature

This author takes the preeminence of the observer in quantum physics and really runs with it (with a biology perspective):

Does the Past Exist Yet? Evidence Suggests Your Past Isn't Set in Stone

Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe

The author of this book is a young physcist and arrives, ultimately, at the same place - that information computation is the underpinning (this author is representative of the up and coming trend for physics as a new generation begins to supplant out-moded materialist thinking in physics):

Decoding Reality: The Universe as Quantum Information

This author has been at it longer than all the others in doing serious minded research, and too, arrives at what is essentially a programmed/virtual reality concept as explanation. His explanations are far more detailed than anyone else treading in these waters:

My Big ToE: A Trilogy Unifying Philosophy, Physics, and Metaphysics

Should I mention Roger Penrose weighing in with his view that consciousness is not explainable in terms of materialistic computation (i.e., Turing Machines). He appeals to quantum physics. (Yet programmed/virtual reality explains quantum physices as resulting from meta level computation.)

The Emperor's New Mind: Concerning Computers, Minds and The Laws of Physics
jim
Posted: Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:59:19 AM

Greetings, RogerV, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your list of related links. We look forward to your contributions!

RedDog, of course I share your enthusiasm for the programmed reality model, simply because it does explain so much. I don't think however that we can project our interest in "getting to the truth behind the nature of reality" on others. As an aside, I have heard wildly different estimates of the Coast to Coast listener-ship. For example, their own site claims 3 million weekly listeners. But how many of those are unique, vs. the same listeners each night summed up across the week? Let's say there are 500K who actively listened. How many take the next step in trying to learn more and think about it? How many of those actually take the effort to join a forum and contribute? The latter is actually a fairly significant barrier. I am interested in many topics, but I only contribute to one forum and only read 2 or 3 others. My twitter following is about 1000, which isn't bad for a non-mainstream topic. Celebrities have millions (which gives you an idea of where the interests of the masses are), social media junkies (whose objective is mostly only to collect followers) get tens of thousands. How many people out there would rather sit down and veg in front of the tube to their favorite sitcoms or reality shows, or even hang out on a true social network after a long day of work rather than be challenged on the nature of reality?

The point is, there is no easy way to answer these questions, or to use a "Drake Equation"-like formula to estimate likely membership. The web has so many options for people - I am just glad that we have the interested folks like yourself who contribute. That said, I would appreciate any effort that you can think of to spread the message and get more like-minded people to join us. Wikipedia entries, deep links, social media posts, sending links of interesting posts to email lists are all great ways to attract a bigger following.

Thanks!
RedDog
Posted: Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:14:41 AM

Thanks for being so candid Jim, I needed to hear the perspective of a recognized author to ground my perception.
Even though the internet provides a venue which is more free, open and less controlled than the normal dogmatic
channels, few gulls ever leave the safety of the flock to seek the joy of unencumbered flight and perfect speed. ;-)
Thanks Chiang!
Calimore
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 12:12:18 AM

As I pointed out in another post I made this evening, if we do live in a programmed reality, raising awareness of this fact in the general populace probably runs counter to many programmed objectives. A good programmer could surely to find a way to keep such "errors" in check so that they didn't corrupt the program to the point that it failed to meet objectives?

So of course Jim is going to be silenced if this is indeed a Programmed reality. And if it's not, then he just turns out to be the crackpot so many closed-minded people no-doubt already believe him to be, anyway. Either way, he's still likely to get marginalized, which is still better than being martyred, don't ya think?

Well, I do, at least...

Calimore Callierionde
jim
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:04:58 PM

wow, dead or crackpot - those are my choices?

fortunately, i'm not worried about either one! Applause

in fact, inasmuch as i have never claimed to be convinced that we live in a programmed reality, only that there is good evidence thereof, i don't see how that position can be considered "crackpot." personally, i would tend to ascribe such a name to those who are blindly convinced of their position. certain high profile skeptics come to mind. i'm talking about you, James Randi.

regarding the idea of "awareness of the truth" messing up the program, i kind of feel like as long as the numbers are relatively small, the programmers wouldn't care. it might only matter when it passes a "tipping point" and people figure out how to take advantage of what they think they know in a volume sufficient to upset the balance of the program. even in such case, the ultimate countermeasure would simply be to eliminate all conscious knowledge of the idea and it's artifacts. if conscious intent is part of the input to the program, and memories are part of the output, this should be easy.
RogerV
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 12:46:12 AM

Unlike Jim I really do wholeheartedly believe we live in a programmed reality (i.e., that our universe is the result of information processing and does not have innate material existence in and of itself). As far as I am concerned programmed reality entirely meshes with the experiments that have been performed over the decades verifying quantum physics.

One of the weirdest things of quantum physics is the role of the observer, in that the outcome of how a subatomic particle behaves in an experiment hinges on interaction with the consciousness of the experimenter. The fact that the universe is beholden to our consciousness does not accord to materialist conception of reality (materialism posits that consciousness is merely a byproduct of innately existent material reality and therefore should not in any way supercede material reality - yet it does).

Quantum physics experiments indicate that the universe renders itself to observers in a manner rather analogous to how video game designers fashion their games to render sufficient reality to the player participants. Quantum physics experiments demonstrate non-locality and hence that dimensional space is illusory. Quantum physics experiments indicate that not even what is thought of as historical is set in stone (even time is illusory). Our quantum universe adjust itself as it renders the experience of reality that our consciousness registers.

So having intellectually accepted all of that sometime ago, these days I live fully in the paradigm of programmed reality. And this brings about its own set of issues in certain ways.

The fundamental tenet of the paradigm of reality that I live in is that consciousness is more fundamental than matter/energy and that ultimately everything at all levels of reality, parallel reality, meta reality, etc., is probably resultant from information processing. I share the conception of Pim van Lommel that our brain is merely a transceiver channeling the experience of this reality to the seat of our consciousness (which I believe the ages old conception of soul is perfectly adequate as a descriptor of our ultimate essence).

That all being said, this recent movie, The Adjustment Bureau, struck rather close to home in respect to my personal life. And well, those darn Justin Hayward songs where he's written lyrics on the same theme for 45 years in his career with the Moody Blues. If you check out his song December Snow and A Winter's Tale on youtube, recorded in 2003, it's the same theme as underlies Haunted and Foolish Love from the 1999 album Strange Times. As well as the '80s hits Your Wildest Dreams and I Know You're Out There Somewhere. And go all the way back to The Actor, Watching and Waiting, or Question from the early 70s, or Meanwhile off of the 1979 Long Distance Voyager. I could go on and on citing other Hayward songs that relentlessly revisit the same theme - Bless the Wings, Is This Heaven, Never Comes The Day, You Can Never Go Home, New Horizons, The Day We Meet Again, Running Water - even the 1967 hit Nights In White Satin has a certain foreshadowing of this enduring theme that would lurk in all those subsequent songs.

In spring of 2010 I journeyed to my log house (a many hours trip) to check up on it. While there one night by myself, out in a very solitary wilderness, I had a strange experience. Thematically that experience rather relates to The Adjustment Bureau. Then a few months later, after 30 years of going our separate ways in life, we cross paths again. She's glad of it and I'm glad of it. I now know that she's been okay through her life and its most comforting to have been given that. Am not going any further about this particular story - too personal. I bring it up as a backdrop to say, that if you believe that reality is as you've learned in school and what is the consensus of society around you, then you're completely off the mark. It's nothing like what the consensus of our secular society holds whatsoever. You need to go deeper.

As you see things playing out around you now, it really should all dawn on you (and is very sad if it doesn't). The clue is that Israel became a nation again in 1948. It is the key event that defines this episode in human history.
jim
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 12:03:04 PM

Really excellent description of the arguments for programmed reality! Thanks for that, RogerV.

I do feel compelled to explain my lack of 100% convinction. First, there is my belief that one can not know anything to 100% certainty, as my "What is True?" thought experiment in Chapter 1 demonstrates.

Second, I leave open the possibility that some of the Quantum anomalies that you describe could be explained by a combination of the existence of a holographic substrate to reality, as yet undiscovered, and a faster-than-light communication mechanism (as yet, undiscovered). For example if the FTL mechanism is nearly infinite, any locality test could be shown to fail due to communication between the objects under test. Admittedly, I can't think of a materialist explanation for the observer effect or the idea of the past not being set in stone, but maybe I just haven't thought hard enough. :) In any case, I do find programmed reality to be the best explanation for everything that we observe.

By the way, please feel free to add your "inspirational songs" to one of the following threads:

This one had to do with songs that "give you a chill":

http://www.theuniversesolved.com/theuniversesolved/yetanotherforum/yaf_postst455_When-Hendrix-hits-that-sustained-note-in-Machine-Gun.aspx

This one had to do with examples of programmed reality explored in pop culture:

http://www.theuniversesolved.com/theuniversesolved/yetanotherforum/yaf_postst446_Do-We-Have-Access-to-the-Program.aspx
terrorgoat
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:00:43 PM

I love this topic and I have a question for all of you? How come we always get excited over a song that comes on the radio/tv/movie that we own and can listen to at any time?

I'm with Jim on "A Day in the Life" and "Won't Get Fooled Again."
I'll add "Baba O'Reily" and "I'm Slowly Turning Into You," by the White Stripes, "Seagull" by Bad Company, "Free Bird" by Skynyrd, and "Ghost of Tom Joad" by Rage(I know Springsteen wrote it but he stinks.) Now I'm done.

"The only true wisdom exists in knowing that you know nothing."
- The Mighty Socrates (Not the fake Socrates Plato wrote about in "The Republic.")
RogerV
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 5:06:29 PM

Unrelated to the overall thrust of this discussion thread perhaps, but it sort of did obliquely come up, and there is a current news item that relates:

jim wrote:
A possible explanation could be the need for the Program to maintain things within certain levels in order for it to continue to function. As a result, a believer in Programmed Reality might predict that runaway global warming can NOT occur. Nor can the Singularity.

Quote:
Global warming mystery: Some Himalayan glaciers getting bigger
Christian Science Monitor
Reuters / April 16, 2012
The Himalayan glaciers are the planet's largest bodies of ice outside the polar caps. New research shows some Himalayan glaciers got bigger between 1999-2008. By Nina Chestney, Reuters / April 16, 2012 An aerial view shows mountains of the Karakoram ...

Nice bit of prophecy, Jim Applause