The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How Many NPC's? Options
EKUMA1981
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:07:44 PM

Groups: Member

This is mainly a question for Jim, although anybody can give an answer if they want.

In your book you mention MMORPG's and NPC's. If we do inhabit such a world then out of the 7 billion people on the planet how many would you estimate to be NPC's? Would it be possible to tell if a person is a NPC? I think it is doubtful as this universe is very complex and I assume that all NPC's would pass the Turing Test. So, identifying one would perhaps be impossible, unless there were other signs.

I estimate 6,999,999,999 from a solipsist point of view and 0 from a conventional point of view. ;o)
jim
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2011 12:50:12 PM

Wow. Killer question!

I tend to agree that there would probably be no way to detect one. A "soul detector?" How would that work? Even if we entertain the idea that we could theoretically detect a life force energy in some way, that would seem to violate the (likely) need for the "sim" to remain indistinguishable from a true reality.

As to how many, I would have no clue. I would guess that it might make sense to include some in the sim. Perhaps to create the sensation of the mass of humanity, in which case it might be a large number. Or, perhaps to "steer" the collective experience in some way, or to help create those individual experiences that we planned with our "spirit guides", in which case it might be a small subset of the population.

What about animals (wasps)?

I have heard some people interviewed who described encounters with people who sounded very much like what we might think of as an NPC. For example, a person played some bit part in an experience someone had, walked out the door, and completely vanished with no trace and no possibility of being "out of view" so quickly. Of course, the problem with all of those reports are the fact that they are anecdotal. Might be an interesting area to explore, though.
Techne
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:01:22 AM

Jim wrote: I have heard some people interviewed who described encounters with people who sounded very much like what we might think of as an NPC. For example, a person played some bit part in an experience someone had, walked out the door, and completely vanished with no trace and no possibility of being "out of view" so quickly. Of course, the problem with all of those reports are the fact that they are anecdotal. Might be an interesting area to explore, though.

You know I was listening to this interview about the "Men in Black", which what your saying there sounds like something they might do. Come in, conduct an interview, walk around a corner and disappear. In this interview, they guy said "It's normal guys but they are trained to perform acts like this. So they will turn a corner and hide right behind a telephone poll, or a garbage can." Makes me wonder how many things that appear to be nothing short of pure magic, might just be a clever person doing something unexpected.
EKUMA1981
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:43:34 AM

That's exactly what Jim's comments remind me of- MIB's. Usually it's UFO witnesses that are pestered by MIB's, but I wonder if there are other ways of enticing them. I'd like a chat. I think they are fairly harmless. Sometimes they make threats, but they are not usually fulfilled.

I was also wondering if anybody had thought of communicating with the Programmer of the universe (if there really is a Programmer of course). I thought maybe beaming a message into the sky or getting a collection of people (say 100) to all say, "Hello Mr. Programmer of the universe". Could you get a reply?
EKUMA1981
Posted: Friday, December 2, 2011 8:17:38 AM

Talking of MIB's, I listened to a good discussion on Coast To Coast AM with George Noory and British Ufologist Nick Redfern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyzQRu8EK0g&feature=related

I just realized, it's my 100th post on this forum (yippee!)

Techne
Posted: Friday, December 2, 2011 3:00:44 PM

EKuma: Nick Redfern is the guy I was sort of quoting about the way they may be trained to do mysterious things.

As to the original question about how many npcs. I would have to think it's basically either all or nothing. Meaning everyone is an npc of sorts or no one is. I would say everyone is in the sense that we may all be in a simulation of sorts and looked at from a view like google earth, with the individual ego removed. That would make us all sims.

What do you think about the idea of people becoming NPC's in the sense they become robotic. The best example would have to the cashier. They usually will say the same things, same greeting, same good byes. They to me seem most like a game npc's which would be like the shop keeper in some rpg style game.

I myself sometimes feel I'm just going through the motions. Like a character that is on rails. The idea that someone else could be so radically different in their day to day life, makes me question, in what ways am I really in control and in what ways am I letting it go on auto pilot NPC mode.
EKUMA1981
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 10:57:23 AM

Hey Techne, I sent Nick Redfern an email and got a reply, so hopefully it will lead somewhere. It was just a reply saying that he'd received my email. He was too busy to say anything else. He promised he'd send me a full reply next week when he returns home (I think he's been travelling). I can't wait to hear his opinions.