The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Near Death Experience (NDE) Options
RogerV
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:37:36 AM
Groups: Member

Here's a fairly recently published new book on NDEs. Here's an excerpt of an interview with the author:

Interview with philosopher and writer Chris Carter
Quote:
1)Chris, tell us a something about your background?

I’m Canadian, but I was educated in England, at Oxford University, in both economics and philosophy. I currently teach internationally.

My first book, Parapsychology and the Skeptics, was primarily concerned with understanding why a substantial minority of the scientific community has been vehemently denying the existence of psychic abilities such as telepathy for well over a century.

My second book, which has just been released, is titled Science and the Near Death Experience, and deals with the mind-body relationship, and what the near-death experience (NDE) can tell us about that.

2)Do you think a basic training in philosophy is useful to weigh and evaluate the evidence and controversy about parapsychology and the afterlife?

Yes, of course. But most philosophers simply ignore the evidence. Like the so-called skeptics, their thinking is wedded to an out-moded worldview based upon classical physics, which has been known to be fundamentally incorrect for almost a century. The irony here is that they think they are being very scientific in their thinking.

Science and the Near-Death Experience
How Consciousness Survives Death
By (author) Chris Carter

MyCoreArticles
EKUMA1981
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:48:28 PM

Is this the guy that wrote most X- Files episodes?

It sounds like a good read this book. I'm so happy to see another author take a serious stance on the subject of Parapsychology. :)
RogerV
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 10:05:09 AM

EKUMA1981 wrote:
Is this the guy that wrote most X- Files episodes?

It sounds like a good read this book. I'm so happy to see another author take a serious stance on the subject of Parapsychology. :)

Nah, just a coincidence of same name. This Chris Carter is an academic.

I've been reading the Kindle version and yes, unlike some other approaches, this book really spends more time and rigor in establishing the underlying epistemology matters involved in all of this. Takes things back to the basis of truly establishing what the implicit assumptions and such are that the various positions are being argued from.

Also, I found the web site that conducted that interview to likewise be interesting from epistemology point of view and would recommend clicking around there.

--RogerV