The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Quantum Suicide Options
mortimer
Posted: Tuesday, April 1, 2008 11:06:52 PM

Groups: Member

Anyone familiar with the Quantum Suicide thought experiment?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_immortality

Not that I'd advocate anyone try it, I just think in some ways it accentuates the argument for why some of the Quantum Mechanics theories - and in particular Schrodinger's Cat - might be wrong or, at best, overly complex.

By that theory one should never die as something will always intervene.

media underground
jim
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2008 7:22:46 AM

Yeah, this is a good thought experiment and it shows a strange consequence of the Everett (aka MWI, or Many Worlds Interpretation) interpretation of QM. That interpretation also solves all kinds of time travel paradoxes, e.g. you go back in time and kill your grandfather, shouldn't you disappear? No, because by the parallel universe theory, as soon as you kill Grandpa, reality forks a new universe, in which he is dead and you are never born. Who is the guy who killed him? Somebody from another universe. Entirely self-consistent.

Anyway, IMHO, I feel that the evidence points to the programmed reality model, which doesn't need MWI to explain these anomalies. In programmed reality, the physicist would eventually die and then possibly be given a chance to play again in the same or another instance of the reality game.
jdlaw
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2008 7:14:35 AM

I'm sure you all have seen the TV commercial where a determined mountain biker rides down a cheetah who's pilfered his caffeinated, citrus-flavored soda, a.k.a. Mountain Dew. The commercial ends with the "See? That's why I'm not a cat person" punchline. I guess the same punch line could be said about Schrodinger's cat experiment.

The quantum suicide thing has always bugged me because I think that in some alternate programmed life we have all played that game before. I think of the old arcade game by Konami called "frogger" which most stimulates these multiverse memories in me. At some earlier stage of progression, like the frog in frogger, I became self aware of the programmed reality and began steering myself time after time, life after life, purposely toward the very first oncoming vehicle in senseless rebellion to programmers. Of course it never helped me get to the next level, but did get the programmers attention. They then began to guide me somewhat in the game so that I could hop across the streets, the rivers, and hop on the logs instead of the alligators so that I could rest on the lilly pad and get to my next level.

My concern in bringing forth this knowledge about the programmed reality to the general playing public, like in Jim’s book, is that some radically frustrated teenaged player will read his book, this forum, or Jim’s weblog and decide that the best thing to do is end it all right here and now and take out as many other players with him as he can.

Remember Occam’s razor. Programmed reality, no matter how far fetched it may seem, is the one answer that fits with all the apparent conundrums associated with the quantum theories and therefore is probably the most correct explanation.

At this game level, however, having reached the edge of transhumanism, I think quantum suicide would only push the programmers to reset nont only your game statistics back to “frogger” level, but could ultimately make them question the current game (this earth life) for all of us.

Therefore, our reality is in fact a much larger phenomenon than the mere subset duality which is the universe we can experience. If a tree falls in the woods with no observer, it will make a noise in the trees duality. If the cat in Schrödinger’s box gets disintegrated, it happens when it happens in that cat’s duality, whether we observe or not. And when that single photon travels through both slits in Young’s experiment, we are merely observing in our own duality that the outcome stability for the single electron or photon in the double slit experiment is that the probability of the one photon or electron existing in our duality is … just a function of which frequency we tune to in our measuring devices.
jdlaw
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 3:15:13 PM

Mortimer,

Where are you????

Hey! you started this. I hope you didn't decide to test it.

Everett's many worlds will ensure me that when someone dies in my reality, they will go on in another reality.

When a poster quits posting on his own post, does that mean the rest of us are now all alone? So that's why there's no thirteenth floor in most buildings.

Would you rather be or a duck?
jim
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 8:54:12 PM

ever notice that the threaded forum model is very much like the Everett interpretation of quantum mechanics? Angel

each thread is like a new reality and takes on a path of its own (of course, the poster is still free to post in as many threads as he/she wishes, so the analogy breaks down there)
Xeryn
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:01:55 PM

Isn't the theory of quantum suicide (and therefore the theory of quantum immortality) only correct up until a certain point? the experimenter would eventually die of old age in all of the realities. ( Baring the existence of a reality where death was not longer possible)