The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Transcendent Man Options
Guillermo
Posted: Sunday, March 6, 2011 9:19:54 PM

Groups: Member

I just watched Ray Kurzweil's documentary Transcendent Man and all I can say is WOW! , he says that by 2029 there will be a machine with superhuman intelligence that will be able to solve problems that we can't, and that we will be able to "download" our brain to machines.

Have you seen this movie?

"We are living in a computer programmed reality."
- Philip K. Dick, 1977
RedDog
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 2:40:26 PM

I'm always amazed that people like Ray gain the following that he does. Poor lost souls.
He's noted a truism, that technology, or man's expanse of technical knowledge has expanded
more and more rapidly, but he has some fatal flaws in his arguements about man made technology.
He ignores the limits of human intervention and augmentation. Man's biological body has always
seen such technology as foreign and fights it, even if we find ways around that, it is the makeup
we don't see that will cause that house of cards to collaspe.
Think of it like a car, converted to a race car to go faster and faster with technology, but eventually
the car reached a limit on its speed,and loses contact with the ground bringing it to a halt. Should
we eventually learn to fly, we will hit the limits of atmospheric friction. This physical reality has
all kinds of built-in limits. It is the fallacy of being physical and the limits it brings to the table.
Tracy
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 3:52:58 PM

Haven't seen it, yet.
As I've aged I've grown more and more suspicious of anything that can "Solve all our problems.'
I like technology, technology is cool.
Technology is a creation of the mind.
There is mind, there is technology.
As time goes on it seems as if it's,
Mind VS Technology.
As if the Establishment has decided the direction technology will take,
to subdue it, to beat it down, and to tap in to it.
To use it.
Crazy.
Tracy
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 3:55:46 PM

Just my theory.
Tracy
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 4:05:17 PM

Just watched the trailer.

I have no doubt that there will be as much, if not more, change by the end of this decade as I have seen in my lifetime.
Neo
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:59:16 PM

RedDog wrote:
I'm always amazed that people like Ray gain the following that he does. Poor lost souls.
He's noted a truism, that technology, or man's expanse of technical knowledge has expanded
more and more rapidly, but he has some fatal flaws in his arguements about man made technology.
He ignores the limits of human intervention and augmentation. Man's biological body has always
seen such technology as foreign and fights it, even if we find ways around that, it is the makeup
we don't see that will cause that house of cards to collaspe.
Think of it like a car, converted to a race car to go faster and faster with technology, but eventually
the car reached a limit on its speed,and loses contact with the ground bringing it to a halt. Should
we eventually learn to fly, we will hit the limits of atmospheric friction. This physical reality has
all kinds of built-in limits. It is the fallacy of being physical and the limits it brings to the table

But isn't that the point - he's talking about our transcending our biology (subtitle of his 'Singularity is Near' tome).

There is no spoon.
sambuca
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:20:23 AM

i am inclined to believe that technology and biology will fuse eventually --the 90% of our brains that we are not using may be needed
to make this happen---i see in 300 years humans evolving into a 50/50 mix---
EKUMA1981
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:08:36 PM

I downloaded this movie and I liked it. Humanity certainly appears to be heading somewhere. The evidence is all around us. I think we will almost certainly transcend our biological limits in the not-too-distant future. It seems like it is our destiny.

It's ideas like the Technological Singularity and The Omega Point (Universe) Theory that back up the Teleological Argument (purpose, order and direction in nature). Surely the universe was created by a super intelligence and it is inevitable that will reach a post-human stage, because it was all pre-determined from the very start (The Big Bang!)

This is my personal belief at present.
bluefalken
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 4:45:53 AM

Just thought I would mention, The Light Body, Morph, and Soul Rising DVDs by williamhenry.net

Tracy
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:56:40 PM

EKUMA1981 :
Quote:
This is my personal belief at present.

That could be one of my favorite quotes, these things do evolve over time, don't they?
TheArchitect
Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 10:43:10 AM

Hey everybody,

I really enjoyed this documentary. I really like Ray Kurzweil. The guy is extremely optimistic about the future. His vision of the future somewhat reminds me of the Star Trek series where humans have defeated most of the old problems. If even half of what he envisions becomes truth then the world will be a much better place.

-TheArchitect