The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

After 2050 -- Your Post-Singularity Predictions.... Options
stendec
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:35:26 PM

Groups: Member

Elsewhere in this section I posted a "timeline" of predictions from 2007 to circa-2050, based purely on research and developments that are happening at present.

However, because we're not sure when the actual "singularity" will occur, and in what order events will conspire to create it, some of the more "exciting" predictions have to be left out of such a timeline, in the interests of being sensible and realistic. However, the timeline ends around about 2050, and it's kinda spooky because Jim said that we humans find it very hard to make predictions past abut 50 years in the future....

So, what you you guys think might be the really "big" predictions for what might happen beyond 2050?
Feel free to be as "outrageous" as you like, the more outlandish the better :d/
Neo
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:14:43 PM

Quote:
However, the timeline ends around about 2050

Well, your one does. Which is not to dismiss it or anything, just to point out that there are other views out there. Personally I see the distinct possibility of a Singularity- -"A rupture in the fabric of human history" (Vinge) occuring well before 2050, even before 2030. By my reakoning (open to debate on this one ) molecular manufacturing will be likely to be widespread in the 2020's. I see this development - the ability to control matter at the atomic level like never before - as a huge event in human history, hearlding in a Singularity soon after.

There is no spoon.
jim
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:22:37 AM

How about this one...

After 2050, if we prove ourselves capable of handling technology without destroying ourselves, we will be given the ability to step into alternate realities at will. Think
stendec
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:01:37 PM

Neo wrote:
Quote:
However, the timeline ends around about 2050

Well, your one does.

Sorry Neo, I didn't mean to come across as saying that I thought "my" timeline was definitive, or even that 2050 was the time I thought the singularity might occur.

What I should have said is that 2050 is just a figurative date, which happens to be a time when most current research projects would have more than reached fruition, and a time when all but the true skeptics of the singularity agree that it would occur by.

I'm with you in thinking that it will come a lot sooner than 2050, and probably a lot sooner than most people would imagine. For what it's worth, I think that, barring accidents or severe meddling by governments, the different branches of research and development will converge to create the singularity before 2030.

Maybe we should just think "Post-Singularity" instead of post-2050?

stendec
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:06:41 PM

jim wrote:
After 2050, if we prove ourselves capable of handling technology without destroying ourselves, we will be given the ability to step into alternate realities at will. Think

I like it! Especially the "if we don't destroy ourselves first" bit. The capabilities arising from the singularity will probably make nuclear threat look like a toy cap-gun in comparison!

I like the idea of us being capable of going into alternate realities at will, like Dr.Who but perhaps without the TARDIS. Maybe we could create our own realities at will as well.
stendec
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:46:37 AM

Neo wrote:
molecular manufacturing will be likely to be widespread in the 2020's.

Neo, I saw this and thought of your comment above:
http://technology.newscientist.com/article/dn14111-electron-turbine-could-print-designer-molecules.html

Just imagine if one of these devices were to "print" an even more refined version of itself, and then that were to do the same. In no time at all, there would be a factory-scale nano-printer churning out things as big as skyscrapers ...

... or as small as medical "nanoparticles".

Once this device gets into real production, it shouldn't take long at all for it to go "geometric" (or exponential even)
Neo
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:59:36 PM

stendec wrote:
Neo wrote:
molecular manufacturing will be likely to be widespread in the 2020's.

Neo, I saw this and thought of your comment above:
http://technology.newscientist.com/article/dn14111-electron-turbine-could-print-designer-molecules.html)

Very interesting indeed, ta mucho! I check out loads of articles of this type, and this one is food for thought indeed. Reading it reinforces my view of the paths nanotechnology is taking us. If you come across any more articles of this ilk please post them here!Applause

There is no spoon.