The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

N.K.S. and Programs Options
EKUMA1981
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 12:24:23 PM

Groups: Member

I've been pondering an idea again I heard Stephen Wolfram talking about a few years ago. In the book A New Kind of Science (NKS) Stephen Wolfram talks about "mining the computational universe for programs that do interesting things".

But, what does he really mean by this statement?

Could it include the purported Akashic Records, divine knowledge, future information about the universe, spiritual healing programs? Why is it that Stephen and his colleagues don't mention ideas like these. They should be investigating more metaphysical ideas.

There could be "special" programs out there that could do miraculous/wonderful things...
ebb101
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 1:28:28 PM

I'm certainly not the expert. But I've read some of the posts by Set/AI at KurzweilAI.net and on this site. He also has a blog.
It seems like mining the computational universe, according to Set, is a little like mining the Akashic Records or the Quantum Holographic Universe. I'd also throw out that it's the Philosopher's stone, finding ways to simulate and create realities.

You might want to post this question on KurzweilAI and see if Set would respond.

http://www.artistserver.com/setAI
TheArchitect
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 11:09:30 PM

Hi,

"Mining the computational universe for programs that do interesting things" is refering to cellular automaton which is the same thing Jürgen Schmidhuber is refering to in the video 'Rebooting the Cosmos: Is the Universe the Ultimate Computer?'. I wouldn't exactly describe it as metaphysical research.

In the same video Ed Fredkin mentions reversible cellular automaton to implement law of conservation and this is postulated to be a requirement to model our universe following if following the rules of QM.

-TheArchitect
EKUMA1981
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:29:13 PM

Ah yes, cellular automata. Stephen seemed to get obsessed with them. I bought the NKS book a few years ago and it's full of the little critters. There's some great examples of what simples rules can generate e.g. snowflakes, leaves, animal patterns, etc, but after a while it gets rather tedious (it's about 1200 pages!).

I wish he'd opened his mind up more to the metaphysical ideas. I always like to probe deeper.