Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

ASIMO - Honda's New Humanoid Robot Options
jim
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:14:05 PM

Groups: Member

Techne
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:37:47 PM

I've been considering things and I don't want to be a downer, but..

If I ask myself, am I really ready for some of this stuff? Even though I want robots and VR, I think it might be to much to take. Not to mention aliens or something that insane. The video opens up with the robot running around and at some point it's jumping. Today on the radio they were talking about a vote going on in one of the states about abortion rights. At what point will we be voting on robot rights? Coupled with AI, it doesn't seem so silly. What happens when say, a wife cheats on her husband with a robot and the husband in turn destroys that robot. If you can imagine the robot being special and said to contain the equal of a spirit with all it's computing power, it's own entity. My god now I'm picturing brawny bots that make all us guys look terrible. :(
EKUMA1981
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:36:04 AM

Thanks for the link, Jim.

Techne, I think you worry too much. ;o) I'm sure it will all pan out perfectly fine. There may be a few unpleasant incidents in the future, but overall I believe it's going to be great. The benefits far outweigh the negatives.

I wonder how much these cool robots retail at?
Tracy
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 3:50:36 PM

It seems that since '08, God has been displeased with Honda.
Their North America operations anyways. Anxious Shhh
jim
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:54:35 PM

Techne,

Have you ever considered that our mortality might be a good thing in the sense that it takes us out of a world that no longer fits within our comfort zone? As an example, as privacy erodes, the pace of life gets faster, artificial enhancements become de rigueur, and we interact in the real world less and less, the world becomes less comfortable for older folks (who grew up and had their values formulated in an era completely different in these respects) and more natural for today's youth. And if we reincarnate, as I tend to believe, there is really no down side to mortality.

i.e., no worries, dude.
Techne
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:10:44 AM

Jim, Ekuma,

I'm only 32, so i'm not a geezer yet. But I just feel with serious thought that some of this stuff would be to mind blowing.

Jim, i do understand what your saying and fully agree. Out with the old and in with the new, isn't that what they say? People ask, where is my robot, where is my vr, where is the aliens. Some say it's all here already, just kept from us in black ops and what not. I can understand completely that if they had the stuff already they would keep it from us. People think they are ready, but they are not. As much as it pains me to say, we have to slowly ease into this stuff. I don't think people realize how fragile their realities are. I think that we all cling tightly to what we believe. A talking entity robot running around, or a VR system that replaces my memory with a character in the system. Those ideas would crush what i know to be real to much.

Don't forget i'm the weirdo dmt guy. I"m not afraid to go places out of the norm and subject myself to really some of the most intense tramatic experiences. Things so bizzar your left wondering what is reality. Are you going to tell me, that people that are worried to try even smoking a little pot to alter their conscience are going to jump into VR???? Yeah right. If we are heading to a future where robots tend to us, while we live out our fantasies inside VR pods. I think the first step may actually be legalizing some of the more potent mind altering drugs. Atari=nintendo=computers=xbox=ps1=ps2=ps3, they are nice ways to ease us in, but more is going to be needed to open someones mind up for this stuff.

terrorgoat
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:27:31 AM

Techne, this should put your mind at ease

http://youtu.be/W1czBcnX1Ww

Like one of the gentlemen at work said when I showed him this video.... <ahem> "if they're releasing this video, think about what they've created and they're not showing us."

"The only true wisdom exists in knowing that you know nothing."
- The Mighty Socrates (Not the fake Socrates Plato wrote about in "The Republic.")