The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

There is no camera Options
jim
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 9:23:39 PM

Groups: Member

Do not try and see the camera. That's impossible. Instead try to realize the truth. There is no camera.

jdlaw
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:02:36 PM

Don't follow you, Jim. There is a camera in this shot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ0v5H3Uctw. That was the point. You can't film a reflection without a camera. The scene was touched up from "mid-Morpheus" down. You can really see the big split in the tie and the black sheet was converted to parts of the jacket.

The Truth? The truth is -- in post-production, the fast photoshop to paint in Morpheus' jacket and tie is a lot cheaper than refiliming the scene. I'm sure it seemed good enough for the theater, because the audiance will only look into the doorknobe for a second. The "truth" is that lots of "continuity" problems are always discussed by the movie "crew" in post-production.

Filming (like everything else) can never be perfect. http://www.moviemistakes.com/best_visiblecrew.php. There are usually lots of "takes" for each scene that goes into a movie. Every now and then (on the Hollywood set) there sometimes occurs a lucky scene and they get it right the first time. Even then, they go back and do it again, just in case. Usually a film crew films on average at least 2 hours of footage per minute of film in the theater. The post-production team has to decide which "continuity" problems will be worth the time to fix and which ones won't. Usually as long as it happens fast, they are not going to spend the money or pay all the actors millions of dollars to come back and reshoot a scene that didn't go just right. CGI today can fix just about anything, but it also can get expensive.

The truth is that I never worked on a Hollywood set, but one of my room mates once did and used to tell us about it.

There. Now doesn't that totally destroy the intrigue?
jim
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 8:04:13 PM

Exactly that, jdlaw. It was a pretty good camouflage for a quick fraction-of-a second shot. I have been on set a couple times, spending hours for what ended up being a 2-second shot. So, as Morpheus would say, "I know exactly what you mean."

The quote "do not try..." was just a reference to the spoon quote. Neo's favorite. :)