The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

IBM Sequoia No. 1 Supercomputer Options
EKUMA1981
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 9:31:25 AM

Groups: Member

Quote:
On 18 June 2012, the TOP500 Project Committee announced that Sequoia replaced the K computer as the world's fastest supercomputer, with a LINPACK performance of 16.325 petaflops. In addition to being 55% faster than K, IBM Sequoia is also 150% more energy efficient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Sequoia
jim
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 9:39:37 PM

That puts it on par with the capacity of the human brain (est. .1 to 20 petaflops). And yet, consciousness will not emerge.
LoneCrowe
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:00:11 PM

jim wrote:
That puts it on par with the capacity of the human brain (est. .1 to 20 petaflops). And yet, consciousness will not emerge.

That is why I think we are far from making consciousness. I've been watching the development of AI for 20 years and we really have not gotten as far as I thought we would. We have the processing power now but not the skills to produce "intelligence" in a program. (yet). I think the internet is a form of consciousness that will evolve into the first true AI. But its a long ways away. I almost think there must be a way to infuse the soul or essense of a living being somehow into a computer before it will become sentient. Maybe using animals at first, and then that will kickstart the ai.
Techne
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:51:16 PM

Depends,

If we are sortof running on rails. And don't really make any real decisions. We are only programs of a sort. Like ants. This new Sequoia is only a tendrill of the larger force that is Technology. It's growing and evolving faster then we are in many ways.

What goals to they give these super computers anyways? I like the idea of letting it go on the internet. Sort of like the "web bot". If that even is real.
LoneCrowe
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:37:55 AM

There are "Web Bots" out there. There is a guy who has some software that crawls the net for keywords and tries to determine what is most likely to manifest. Many many misses on this software but some hits as well.

Google is working on such a thing already that takes it beyond just keywords.

We know there is major social engineering going on as well where they are using AI to use social media and create opinions and steer society into the direction they want. That has been in development for a long time though.