The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Prometheus the Film - Thematic Confluences Options
RogerV
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 10:53:37 AM
Groups: Member

Spoiler alert - should first see Prometheus prior to reading this article:

Prometheus the Film - Thematic Confluences

In this film director Ridley Scott now makes explicit the themes he introduced 30 years ago in Blade Runner (and even dropped a subliminal hint of in Alien). These themes revolve around Ancient Astronaut Theory, Gnostic Enlightenment, and the ultimate nature of perceived reality.
LoneCrowe
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:17:00 AM

I'll check it out, I just saw the film and read a lengthy discussion on its meanings on Reddit.

Also in your blog you mentioned the winged disk, but you see the logo for Weyland Industries in the movie?

http://www.geekscape.net/_wp_/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/weyland-industries-logo.jpg

Its a trinity at the heart of the wings instead of the solar deity.

Don't read below if you haven't seen the movie

Spoilers

Engineers they found that were dead (decapitated) were 2000 years old.. it seems that our crucifixion of their ambassador pissed them off.. we were a failed race to be annihilated but their bioweapon backfired on them. They were planning on coming to earth to wipe out humanity with this dna breakdown of the planet and start over. The whole movie seems to be a whole homage to "Service to self" vs "Service to others". The opening scene shows the service to others. Sacrifice yourself for the sake of others instead of sacrificing others to prolong your life (Weyland). Much more to read here - they really took it in depth. Bottom line even Ridley Scott admitted "Jesus" was sort of a hidden message in the whole film.

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/uswn1/prometheus_everything_explained_and_analysed/

RogerV
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2012 10:10:15 AM

Well, I think a difference in my approach vs. this Reddit posting is that I, for the most part, try to stay with what can be gleaned more directly.

For instance, here is example of some reaching or reading between the lines - it's a surmising that can't really be ascertained (or is even hinted at from the film):

Reddit Posting wrote:
So how did our (in the context of the film) terrible murderous act of crucifixion end up wiping out all but one of the Engineers back on LV-223? Presumably through the black slime, which evidently models its behaviour on the user's mental state. Create unselfishly, accepting self-destruction as the cost, and the black stuff engenders fertile life. But expose the potent black slimy stuff to the thoughts and emotions of flawed humanity, and 'the sleep of reason produces monsters'.

And of course I'm referring to the notion that it is the mental state of Mankind that lead to the black slime becoming a biological weapon of destruction that turned on the Engineers. It's an interesting notion for sure and the author goes on to use elements of the film to more or less back this interpretation (such as the black slime is inert in respect to David because his mind is artificial - perhaps is simply because he has no DNA for it to interact with and thus remains inert).

BTW, thanks for posting that LoneCrowe - is indeed stimulating to see these other interpretations. Interestingly enough, both I and this Reddit posting see a Christian related arch theme going on.

One last comment is that at the end of the film, protagonist Elizabeth Shaw did not believe she had an understanding of why the Engineers were bent on humanity's destruction and thus was setting out to get the answers. Keeping with the film, I didn't really attempt to answer the "why" either and simply noted things for what they were representationally - the Engineers as creators make entirely suitable analogs to the Gnostic Christian Demiurge concept of the creator. And Elizabeth's Christian cross symbolism is the paramount symbolism taking place in the final phase of the film (i.e., a Christian seeking truth == Gnosticism).

One more thing - I went and created a Reddit account and posted a link to my Prometheus article. If folks go to this link and click like, then it will up the ranking on Reddit. Might help to bring some Reddit traffic over to theuniversesolved.com. Here's a short link: http://redd.it/w32z0
LoneCrowe
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 1:20:29 PM

You read the part about about 3 years before the first original Alien movie there was Doctor Who episode very similar to the whole premise of the alien series where one of the characters names was liz shaw...