The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

My Girlfriend Is An NPC Options
mortimer
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2012 9:59:43 AM

Groups: Member

I asked my girlfriend (well, I should say ex-girlfriend) what she was thinking, a few weeks back, when she was staring into space blankly.

"Nothing," she said.

"Nothing?" I asked.

"Yeah nothing," came the reply, as though this kind of behaviour was perfectly normal.

"You couldn't have been thinking of nothing," I responded, "there's always something going on, even if you were day dreaming."

No, I wasn't thinking of anything," came the reply.

"What?"

"Yeah, it happens all the time."

So there you have it. I've been observing this kind of behaviour for a while now, when she seems to just shut down for long periods.

I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever experienced thinking of nothing. Apart from before I was born, self-awareness and some kind of thought process are always going on. Even with regards to sleeping, I wake up kinda feeling like I've had an experience, or been somewhere.

Sheeit! I've been dating a Non Player Character all this time.

media underground
EKUMA1981
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2012 3:28:13 PM

Hello Mortimer. Maybe she suffers from a form of epilepsy and has petite mal seizures. This is why she maybe 'zones out' for long periods. You could also ask her outright if she is an NPC and see what reply you get.
Techne
Posted: Sunday, September 2, 2012 4:57:21 PM

it's possible that she wasn't thinking of anything. Not that she is a Zen master, but I'm pretty sure they are able to sort of not think of anything and just be. Or they strive for that at least. It's also possible she was in hypnotic state. It's surprisingly easy to fall into those.

More then likely though, she just didn't care to share her thoughts at the moment. People think lots of wild things and things not so flattering about each other. Best some times to just saying "I wasn't thinking of anything"
Tracy
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2012 5:20:30 AM

I started reading this and was thinking, "Your ex-girlfriend is obviously a Zen Master."
Coincidence?
Anxious
Tracy
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2012 5:26:08 AM

jim
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2012 6:42:23 PM

Mortimer, great post!

My first reaction was laughter at the title. Could be a book name or a movie title.

Second though was similar to Techne's - that she is capable of mindfulness, meditative state (point awareness). Mortimer would know if this is in character for her. If not...

NPC! :)
mortimer
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:30:53 AM

Yeah Jim, I was trying to be humorous and light-hearted about the subject, but it really got me thinking about the possibility of the amount of NPCs existing in this potentially programmed reality. My problem is that I probably think too much and my brain tends to work overtime on such subjects. If you look around at the general population, however, so many people seem to fit into certain stereotypes, where their behaviour seems almost predictable (dare I say programmed). When I go out for a beer to my local pub, I end up trying to engage people in conversation about the nature of reality, or space exploration, or death (a favourite of mine), and as soon as I open my mouth I am shot down in flames for being either depressing, manically obsessive, or out of my goddamned mind, even though I try and tackle the subject with cynical light-hearted humour.

Then they all go back to watching the football, or talking about football, or celebrities, or some other mindless gibberish that doesn't require much thought process at all. Every so often I bump into someone with whom I can discuss these issues, and usually they are regarded by the masses as mentally unstable also. When that happens, I relish in it, because you can almost feel the levels of discomfort and confusion increase around you.

Ekuma1981, I have on occasion brought up the possibility that if this is a programmed reality then she might be an NPC, and whilst that would probably warrant a hefty slap in the face from any of my previous girlfriends, this one doesn't even seem slightly perturbed by the possibility at all.

Tracy, she ain't no Zen Master. Trust me on that.

On another note altogether - and I should perhaps probably start another thread about this - in the last couple of years I've been experiencing a lot of sleep paralysis. It's happening almost every couple of weeks now, and the experiences leave me feeling as though I'm familiar with some of the scenarios that occur within my dreams - as though some of my dreams are a continuation of something I've experienced before. It's not that these feel like they are a continuation of a previous dream I've had, but I awake from the sleep paralysis (usually forcing myself awake because I get scared) feeling as though the dream events are a continuation of something I've actually experienced in reality. It kinda got me thinking about our past being altered with some kind of software patch, where you wouldn't be aware that your past had been altered. It feels like the sleep paralysis allows me to access erased memories. As the day goes on this feeling diminishes.

Don't worry, I'm not going crazy about this or anything. It's just an interesting thought experiment to me to consider the possibility of this. It's all fascinating to me, and rather enjoyable if I don't let myself get too obsessed about it.

media underground
jim
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:52:00 PM

mortimer wrote:
Ekuma1981, I have on occasion brought up the possibility that if this is a programmed reality then she might be an NPC, and whilst that would probably warrant a hefty slap in the face from any of my previous girlfriends, this one doesn't even seem slightly perturbed by the possibility at all.

Wow, you may have found one! Wait, is her last name "Smith?"

Yeah, too bad about the friends that only focus on football. The powers that be prefer that the masses stay focused on entertainment. You can always lean on us here at the humble ol' Universe Solved Forum for your nature of reality discussions. :)

On your final note, the dream experiences are certainly interesting. I'm sure that you have found that there are many who report mutual lucid dreams and paranormal experiences while in the dream state, including some physicists that I am reading about. I continue to lean toward the conclusion that a large part of our consciousness is "out there" and therefore free, when unencumbered by physical reality constraints, to explore what Thomas Campbell calls NPMR (non physical matter reality). Maybe you are getting there. Consider yourself lucky.
mortimer
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 5:14:12 PM

I think I brought this up once before with you during an interview I sat in on at sittingknow.co.uk a while back...

My observations lead me to consider that maybe the entire universe is a consciousness, or a self-aware organism operating and experiencing itself on different levels of self-awareness, and that the consciousness that we each feel is the same as what the organism feels, but the experiences are different; are individual.

If man has consciousness, then a dog has consciousness.

A rat has consciousness and a fly has consciousness.

A virus has consciousness and an atom has consciousness.

An electron has consciousness and a quark has consciousness and blah blah blah, and so on, and so forth.

Now obviously these consciousnesses are different, primarily in complexity. But that's not to say that in their own limited way they are not experiencing the buzz of some kind of self-awareness.

Imagine how uncomplex the human being would look to the likes of, say, a global mind, or the universe running through all these sequences of different aspects of its consciousness as a whole.

media underground
MojitoTime
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 7:33:18 PM

People just want to fit in? Well not everyone (obviously). If you were on the beach and a tsunami was coming would you run? No the first thing you would do is look around and see what everyone else is doing. It almost as if a lot of people are just comfortable cruising through life running of impulses. Meditation is all about taking a step back from that ;)

I honestly don't know why i think the way i do. I could of chose to be a criminal, i could of chose to sit back and smoke weed all day, i could of chose to buy an iphone because it's apple. I'm glad i have a sense of freedom (a lot of people died for what i have). It makes me laugh though, you go on the internet and there's always another person thinking on the same wavelength as you :O

all the best guys ;)