The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Why are we so curious? Options
MojitoTime
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 8:05:58 PM
Groups: Member

Hey guys i'm new and don't really know where to ask such a question (it's more of a thought i have). Before i ask it i'll just let you know that i've often brought this up with friends and even random people just to see what their thoughts were. Often i don't get much input back.

Us a humans are very curious by nature and we try to understand everything around us. There were hunter-gatherer times when we had to be afraid of big cats and other predators (i think we still have this fears hardwired in us).

We have planet earth conquered and were top of the food chain now, were also exploring space for more resources. Whats the point of exploring? I know before the planet was mapped out societies would prepare for the war no matter what. You didn't know what was on the other side of that ocean so you had to prepare the best you could and build boats to scout it out. Does this mean that we largely operate based on fears? We do not have world peace at the moment, regardless we all still explore space looking for resources or answers. It seems to be our nature to prepare for the unsuspected. If we do have world peace and we do explore space and inhabit other planets whats the point in all that. Are we just a primative race with no purpose...

As wierd as it sounds maybe we will encounter an alien race out in space one day that we will have to fight or trade with. I definately believe that there's more out there than just us humans.. A theme that i have noticed is that anything we think about generally comes true over time. Maybe all the thoughts i have are natural and with good cause?

Any thoughts would be nice guys, it's a wild post first post but i just didn't know where to discuss it. I would just really love to hear your thoughts on all of this. Cheers :D
jim
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 7:17:23 PM

Groups: Member

Hey MojitoTime, I welcomed you in another post, not realizing which was your first, but hey - welcome again.

A couple thoughts...

At one level, I think humans are generally risk-averse and fearful of change. Comes from being hunter-gatherers - we were more likely to pass on our genes if we avoided the saber-toothed cat, didn't eat the unusual berries, didn't stray out of the cave at night. That said, everybody fits on to a bell curve-shaped continuum of capabilities and attributes, such as curiosity, and fear of the unknown. It doesn't take too many people at the extreme end of the bell curve to pave the wave of change for the rest of us followers, right?

From a different lens, we evolve our consciousness ONLY when we experience new things. Those who are driven by curiosity may be evolving faster than the rest of us. If, as it seems, our individuated consciousnesses are part of a larger whole, a few of us (Neil Armstrong) help to advance the global consciousness more than others (that numb-nuts that shot up the school).