The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The Evolutionary Argument Against Reality Options
mortimer
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 1:52:54 AM

Groups: Member

I don't know if any of this guy's theories have ever been discussed on the forum before, but I found Donald Hoffman's analogy of aspects of our perceived reality being much like avatars on the desktop of a computer quite compelling. It certainly makes sense to me that our senses are tuned for survival and fitness rather than to sense truth, since there is no evolutionary advantage to perceiving the real reality and that it would, in fact, be a hindrance to every day survival:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcgbLwn_yYE

media underground
"Bot"-tee-licious
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 4:05:31 AM

As Donald Hoffman says: "We don't need to see reality as it is, that would actually get in the way." So very true, for example, there are days when I'm so immersed in trying to figure out the 'truth' of reality that my housework never gets done, I'm not visitor-ready and, either, I don't eat properly or exercise regularly, both vital for meeting your optimum well-being (and necessary for survival and fitness too!). So time to get really real with myself, be less of a dreamer, get balanced and focus on what really matters for a more productive day. LoL.
mortimer
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 4:40:39 AM

Having the kind of mind where you are always looking at everything too deeply and seeking the truth of this weird existence can certainly be a bit of a curse. For me, there isn't a day (or hour in the day) that goes past without me thinking about the state of my mortality and how temporary life seems and what any of it all might mean. To be honest, it's a horrible way to go through life but, strangely, I wouldn't have it any other way. When I see other people just enjoying the moment and not appearing to think about much other than mere trivialities I envy them but equally pity them. On one hand I feel blessed with a mind that is capable of questioning everything, and on the other hand I feel cursed that it preoccupies so much of my time. Fortunately, however, it's nice to come across others (through forums like this one) where you realise you are not alone.

media underground
jim
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 5:45:56 PM

Yes, I really like Hoffman's approach. In fact, I have a small segment of the book devoted to his theory. I see it as more evidence for DCT. An exerpt:

Quote:
He has developed a theory of consciousness that asserts that evolution has led us to be blind to a true reality. As he says, “Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know. And that’s pretty much all of reality, whatever reality might be. If you had to spend all that time figuring it out, the tiger would eat you.” Essentially, while there is an evolutionary advantage toward tuning our perceptions to anything that supports “fitness” or survival, the actual real world structures don’t necessarily match the associated fitness function.

This theory has support from evolutionary simulations as well as mathematical proofs of some of the concepts. Hoffman developed a mathematical consciousness model, which consists of “spaces” of artifacts, experiences, and mappings: “I have a space X of experiences, a space G of actions, and an algorithm D that lets me choose a new action given my experiences. Then I posited a W for a world, which is also a probability space. Somehow the world affects my perceptions, so there’s a perception map P from the world to my experiences, and when I act, I change the world, so there’s a map A from the space of actions to the world.”

Most interestingly, the math and supporting evidence for this model leads to the conclusion that multiple conscious agents can combine to form a unified consciousness and that W, the true reality, appears to act exactly as a unified consciousness. This sounds uncannily similar to the idea of ATTI, or the Global Consciousness System, which, in this model, would exactly be W.