The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Nietzsche and the idea of Eternal Recurrence. Options
Neo
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:00:06 PM
Groups: Member

(paraphrasing, but quite accuratelyWhistle ) "What if some demon came to you in your lonelist solitude and said to you that this life, as you are living it now, you will have to live again and again, times without number; moreover there will be nothing new to speak of - your joys and pains, thoughts and events will be identical...would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who thus spoke?"

For me Nietzsche's idea of eternal recurrence is one of many he had which was well ahead of its time (indeed, he believed that he was born 'posthumously'). Have we been around before? And would you 'gnash your teeth' at this concept, or rather strive to live to your utmost?

Finally and relavent to this site, was Nietzchse unwittingly alluding to quamtum physics here? I'm pondering this at the moment, just thought I'd throw it out here, so to type Drool

There is no spoon.
jim
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2008 8:16:18 AM

creepy thought, kind of like this: Brick wall

also implies that we don't have free will, right?

i think we have free will, so i don't believe it could happen.

hey, did you ever see the X-Files episode "Monday"? in it, the characters repeat the same event over and over, but unlike the movie "Groundhog Day", they don't realize that they have lived it before. but they get subtle hints which allows them to slowly figure out how to break out of the cycle.
jdlaw
Posted: Saturday, April 5, 2008 9:59:06 AM

There is also a Stargate SG-1 "time loop" episode like groundhog day called "Window of Opportunity" which is one of my favorites (not really relevant here, but I do like the episode).

Of course writers like Nietzsche and even those TV show and movies are just out of someone's imagination, but it is fun to compare and likewise imagine how close they may have actually been to the truth of the programmed nature of our own realities. I think multiple mortal probations we go through cannot be all exactly the same, else no matter how many of them there were, it would all really still be the same one (not multiple at all). That type of endless lives would be more like putting two mirrors together; they seem to go on forever, but are really nothing more that a different reference frame view of the same one thing.

No. The lives we live may not even be looked at as linear, meaning one after the other. Your reality program could be running on several different operating systems simultaneously and your current situation looked upon as just one batch process feeding the larger program of your soul. The only way to observe those other programs while engaged in this life is to leave your reality, as when you sleep or otherwise enter that transcendent state, where you “walk upon the way” with the programmers observing them and all your other programming.