The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Nuggets from Tom Campbell's "My Big TOE" Options
jim
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 8:53:28 AM

Groups: Member

"With no light and only a dim awareness, the fish knows nothing of water. Water just is, has always been, and is taken for granted. The fish does not ponder the nature of water, it swims in it. We swim in an ocean of consciousness. We are not aware of the ocean, but only of our local interactions with it."
- Tom Campbell
jim
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 8:54:42 AM

"The argument between science and belief – a more general version of the argument between science and religion – is a self-energizing, endless loop of non-logic bouncing uselessly in endless debate back and forth from one limiting belief system to another. The illogical excesses of each create the rational necessity for the other."
jim
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2013 8:53:34 AM

"A mind that is not free is simply a self-referential belief machine that continuously spins off useless and unprofitable thought energy. Belief and fear are the only ties that can bind a mind, while unconditional love and open-minded skepticism set it free. A body may be enslaved by others, while a mind can only be enslaved by itself."
jim
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 11:33:48 PM

"It is an obvious fact that the easiest way to get some cash to support an immediate higher standard of living is to mug Mother Nature as she walks through her park. Fortunately, she is an exceptionally hardy and charitable sort and gracefully tolerates our abuse up to a point. However, to pass that point is to trade an endless supply of golden eggs for a single goose dinner. Even if you are extraordinarily hungry, that is a stupid trade."
jim
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 4:43:20 PM

"Our anthropomorphic tendencies and sense of self-importance, supported by an unbounded egocentric pride in our species, make me suspicious of any logic that puts us too close to the center of Big Picture significance. We Homo sapiens are exceedingly impressed by our apparent significance and grossly inflated with self-importance – an unfortunate fact that clouds the clarity of our vision immensely. How many of our wars, atrocities, and general acts of meanness have sprung from a sense of superiority? A belief in the supreme importance of humankind is the ultimate source of much mischief. The notion that humans are inherently superior leads to the idea that some humans are superior to, or more significant than, others – a concept that represents the first step down a slippery slope that is both steep and long. The cultural, personal, and religious belief systems in which we are all constantly immersed have a tendency to be “feel-good” belief systems that boost our egos and self-importance (hence, their popularity)."
jim
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:58:54 AM

"The digital world, which subsumes the virtual physical world, consists only of organization – nothing else. Reality is organized bits."
jim
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:08:56 PM

Re. OBEs...

“You don’t have to get out of your body. Your mind, your consciousness, is already out of your body. All you have to do is get into your consciousness.”
(this one is from one of his lectures)
terrorgoat
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:14:16 AM

I started reading Tom Campbell, Jim, and it's very good. I keep getting bogged down in his insistence in trying to prove he's correct. I'm not saying he's not, but he spends pages trying to prove that one point is absolutely true. I started reading Michael Schneider's "A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe," to limber my mind up, then I'll pick his book up again, but thank you for the recommendation. Once I finish his book, I'll have a lot more to post here :)

"The only true wisdom exists in knowing that you know nothing."
- The Mighty Socrates (Not the fake Socrates Plato wrote about in "The Republic.")
jim
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 8:55:49 PM

Hey terrorgoat, no worries. Was it the "belief trap" portion of Section 2? If so, I know what you mean and I think it will move along for you at a better pace once you get past that. I think that he felt that the ideas presented would be so unusual for most readers that he had to make a strong case for "open minded skepticism." You probably already have an open mind and so you don't need all the convincing. FYI, I am about 2/3 through a couple related books that supplement Campbell's tome nicely: "Far Journeys" by Robert Monroe and "Unified Reality Theory" by Steven Kaufman. Look forward to hearing your thoughts if you get back into it.
jim
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 10:15:37 PM

"The ability to accurately assess one’s fundamental limitations differentiates the wise from the foolish."
terrorgoat
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2013 5:44:52 AM

That's too funny, Jim. That's the part I'm on!!! Ok, I'll hunker down and keep reading. Those other two books sound great. (I have a bunch of Monroe MP3's of Binaural beats for meditating.) By the way, Jim. Have you ever read "The Cosmic Serpent," by Jeremy Narby? That's the next book that's calling me,and I wonder if you've read it.

"The only true wisdom exists in knowing that you know nothing."
- The Mighty Socrates (Not the fake Socrates Plato wrote about in "The Republic.")
Wiolawa
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2015 5:04:43 PM

This is a false premise ... "We swim in an ocean of consciousness. We are not aware of the ocean, but only of our local interactions with it."
As i have experienced IT.. the more we are CONSCIOUS the more we connect with all and everything around us
including the U and are AWARE of ALL.. only the UNCONSCIOUS as GURDJIEFF would say cannot DO this &
BE-7
again.. LOCAL interactions are Relative.. the more CONSCIOUS the more UNIVERSAL COINSCIOUSNESS of the ALL
U ARE DEALING here with LEVELS OF BEINGNESS in the OCEAN U
Wiolawa