The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Random Thought Options
mortimer
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:37:20 PM

Groups: Member

Watching a lot of stuff on YouTube at the moment. It’s frying my brain. Now, maybe what I’m about to say is common knowledge amongst the scientific community, or considered a pile of dogshit based on good science that I’m too stupid to understand. But a random thought occurred to me about whether we consider light to be either a wave or a particle. I don’t know jack shit about mathematics, incidentally, but I like to usually steal a copy of New Scientist out of Asda most weekends (it’s easy just roll up the magazine and then keep it in your hand whilst you pay for your shopping – I think I’m more than entitled to a free magazine for enduring the torture of being in a supermarket), but could it not be that the photon wants to travel faster than the speed of light but is hindered by the fabric of space-time resulting in it creating a ripple effect through this fabric? A photon travelling through the universe could be like a bullet from a .45 getting fired into the ocean. When the bullet hits the water, ripples will be created through the water. Could the ripples be the wave we observe?

Maybe what I just said is already common knowledge or complete bullshit for legitimate reasons, but I thought I’d just say is all.

media underground
EKUMA1981
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:52:20 PM

Hi Mortimer, don't know about the light and electrons thing but this is one of the funniest/best posts I've read, lol.

Is it really that easy to steal a copy of NewScientist?! Doesn't the barcode on the mag trigger them alarms near the exit. I suppose probably not if the mag is rolled up in your hand. Ha, ha, that is just so cheeky.

mortimer
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:23:29 PM

Use the self-service checkout. Also, since they're getting the customer to do all the work in scanning their own shopping, put all your loose fruit and veg through as onions (since onions are heavy and cheap).

I hate supermarkets.

media underground
EKUMA1981
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 1:15:50 PM

Thanks for the extra tips, Mortimer! Is there anything else we should know.. ;)

I don't really like supermarkets either.
jim
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 11:40:23 PM

Serves them right. They think they are clever, taking jobs away from the poor local college students with their stinkin' self-service lines.
jim
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:13:01 AM

Oh right, I'm supposed to say something clever. Ok, here goes...

Many digital philosophers/physicists have made the connection that the speed of light is a limitation on the structure of reality. So, for example, a computer system with a fixed display may have a graphics engine that can push a pixel transition across the screen a max of 10 pixels per screen refresh. This sets the maximum speed limit of any virtual reality game running on that system. Our reality is just a virtual reality running on the digital fabric of reality, so it is a good analogy. So what makes the moving pixel look like a wave in some contexts? The other aspect of the VR, which is that it is not a fully deterministic system, responding not only to the rules of the graphic engine, but also the intents of all of the players. Uncertainty about position creates the wave effect.

Or maybe something else, but that's the best I have.
mortimer
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:39:05 PM

jim wrote:
Serves them right. They think they are clever, taking jobs away from the poor local college students with their stinkin' self-service lines.

Asda is owned by Wal-Mart. Enough said. I think my free New Scientist every week is justified along with my loose fruit & veg for the price of onions (garlics are so cheap when weighed as onions, btw). Besides, it's not theft if they expect you to do the donkey work accurately without any till training.

"Sorry, I put that big joint of beef through as onions instead of scanning it. Where's my till training? I didn't see any barcode, sister. Am I being victimised?"

End of chat.

media underground
mortimer
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:57:42 PM

jim wrote:
Oh right, I'm supposed to say something clever. Ok, here goes...

Many digital philosophers/physicists have made the connection that the speed of light is a limitation on the structure of reality. So, for example, a computer system with a fixed display may have a graphics engine that can push a pixel transition across the screen a max of 10 pixels per screen refresh. This sets the maximum speed limit of any virtual reality game running on that system. Our reality is just a virtual reality running on the digital fabric of reality, so it is a good analogy. So what makes the moving pixel look like a wave in some contexts? The other aspect of the VR, which is that it is not a fully deterministic system, responding not only to the rules of the graphic engine, but also the intents of all of the players. Uncertainty about position creates the wave effect.

Or maybe something else, but that's the best I have.

I think it is intriguing that by the mere act of observing, the results of the experiment alter. If this is occurring at an atomic/subatomic level then what does that mean for the entirety of reality we observe at this level, right here and right now? How pliable is that reality in respect to how we perceive it, and how pliable is it if we alter our perception or interpretation of it?

If the very building blocks of reality play a game of changing their behaviour based on how they are perceived, then how does this filter up and affect our own perception of reality and to what extent?

Not expecting an answer though. I mean this is all speculative. Just interested in what everybody thinks. I don't buy into any models of what this reality is, but I like to play around with different ideas. So answers on a postcard please. Get to it. I'm 43 now and running out of time. I need to know what this is all about before it gets death-bed scary. Ha!

media underground
"Bot"-tee-licious
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:16:10 PM

mortimer wrote:
I need to know what this is all about before it gets death-bed scary. Ha!

If you like the concept of re-incarnation, I thoroughly recommend, "Reincarnation: the 35 steps of Soul Evolution". :)

http://personalityspirituality.net/articles/the-michael-teachings/reincarnation-the-35-steps/

"Truth lies within ourselves: it takes no rise from outward things, whatever you may believe. There is an inmost centre in us all, where truth abides in fullness and to Know rather consists in opening out a way whence the imprisoned splendour may escape than in effecting entry for light supposed to be without" - Robert Browning, English poet/playwright.