The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Digital Philosophy ("DP") Options
jdlaw
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 4:39:28 PM

Groups: Member

So I have some questions

1. Do we really believe "DP" comprises the ultimate limits of all existence?
2. Could it simply be that the very ability to observe something is the limit, but beyond observation perhaps an analog space-time still exists?
3. Just because something is unobservable, unmeasurable, undefinable, does that mean it cannot exist?

I am thinking I may be in a camp all my own. Marching to the beat of my own drummer so to speak. I guess this all has to depend on your definition of "exist." I see it all as a matter of perspective. Take this dispersion wave for example:

What this represents is several wave patterns on top with the resulting summation of all the wave patterns represented below. This of course a very slow motion representation. If you imagine all of the top wave patterns moving at any given speed (for example the speed of light) you will see that the summation pattern actually moves faster than individual parts. Hence by all practicalities, the dispersion wave is sending a "signal" faster than the individual signals.

So, some more questions then:

4. Is this signal "Real?"
5. Is the signal really "faster?"
6. Does the signal "exist?"

I firmly believe that our "Reality" is discreet and digitized (i.e. planck constant, planck length, planck time). But that is only our ability to measure and observe. This then begs the final question:

7. Is what we can observe really all that there is?

"Bot"-tee-licious
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2021 2:41:36 AM

jdlaw wrote:
2. Could it simply be that the very ability to observe something is the limit, but beyond observation perhaps an analog space-time still exists?

I somewhat agree, jdlaw.

Is spacetime discrete or is it continuous, and, again, we're back to using the same old Aristotelian either-or logic that we discussed in a previous thread!

Light behaves both as a particle and a wave. If you consider that the universal wave-particle duality principle of known quantum physics is not at odds with each other, and probably emerges from some other special deeply-rooted theory, then would it not be reasonable to apply the same theory to the possibility of the classical-quantum duality of spacetime? In other words, it's not one or the other but both! Spacetime is assumed to be a classical entity (continuous), although the matter particles in spacetime are quantum (discrete). Maybe. 😊

jdlaw
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2021 7:04:25 AM

"Bot"-tee-licious wrote:
If you consider that the universal wave-particle duality principle of known quantum physics is not at odds with each other, and probably emerges from some other special deeply-rooted theory, then would it not be reasonable to apply the same theory to the possibility of the classical-quantum duality of spacetime?

Yes this has been discussed in here before. I was just glad I could put a motion gif inside this WordPress forum post and it actually displays properly. :)

I think one of the reasons I am bringing it up again is to further develop the idea that the "dual" wave/particle behavior of light explanation is somewhat lacking.

In actual practice, it is not that light constantly behaves as both wave and particle, but more that in some situations light behaves as a wave and in others as a particle. There is a difference.

That is why I have been thinking about the "nested variables" approach to looking at this. In some experiments we look at light from one perspective (nested locally in our perspective) and then from a different perspective (nested non-locally) in others. And therein lies the whole "non-locality" theory. When we are doing straight light experiments to measure the speed of light it acts like wave. When we measure the energy signatures, it acts more quantized.

Perhaps what we are really doing is looking at light first from a local perspective when testing the speed of light and looking at non-local behavior when measuring the energy.
"Bot"-tee-licious
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2021 3:05:18 AM

jdlaw wrote:
In actual practice, it is not that light constantly behaves as both wave and particle, but more that in some situations light behaves as a wave and in others as a particle. There is a difference

Yes, I agree, jdlaw. But did you know that light can behave simultaneously as a particle and a wave! See the first-ever photograph of light as both a particle and a wave.

Bot wrote:
Spacetime is assumed to be a classical entity (continuous), although the matter particles in spacetime are quantum (discrete).

Just to flesh out. I propose that on the classical macroscopic scale we have a spacetime continuum that is, somehow, built up from the collective behaviours of the discrete levels of spacetime at the planck scale. But don't ask me how!

jdlaw, the only thing which so far appears to be continuous is spacetime from Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, but it could be ultimately discrete, however, we have not yet been able to develop any sophisticated technology and/or experiments to test whether this hypothesis is true or not. Maybe someday. 🤞

As an aside note, there is a third possible form of information processing which is neither analog (because it is based on discrete rather than continuous components) nor digital (because it cannot be simulated by a digital computer) called Topological Information Processing. I'm just learning about it now!

jdlaw
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 6:09:23 PM

"Bot"-tee-licious wrote:
But did you know that light can behave simultaneously as a particle and a wave

That article about using electrons as the "information" carrier to make the "photo" possible does sort of give you both a dimensional and interdimensional view all at the same "time." It always seems to come back to building new logic paradigms that consider a reference for observation that is non-local ("outside-in" rather than "inside-out"). Here are some additional insights on developing such transitional logic so that quantum computing can become more useful to us.Transitional Logic