Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Cracking the Consciousness Code Options
jdlaw
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2022 6:11:24 AM

Groups: Member

"Bot"-tee-licious
Posted: Friday, February 4, 2022 9:51:55 AM

jdlaw, I admit it will take me at least a couple of re-reads to fully comprehend your paper, nevertheless, it appears to be a well-articulated and compelling argument towards a new understanding of "Digital Consciousness." Well done!

Maybe not so much related to the paper, but I'd just like to add that it was the Indian Philosopher, Jiddu Krishnamurti, that said that the ego is a fictitious 'self' ('I' or 'me') that has been built up from a collection of concepts, beliefs and thoughts as we age. We identify with the ego as the thinker, the doer, the experiencer but that is not who we really are, in essence. We are not the ego, which is a mentally created concept that is taken for who/what we really are. We have to see through the illusion that there is no separation between subject and object and to realise, as jdlaw mentioned in his paper that ".....the universe is thought of as one single entity where everything is the universe - and "all is one" within it....."

"Having no free will" could also be the flipside of "the 'self' as an illusion." No-one is really in control, so everything is just happening by itself and it's unfolding. Life force energy/Tao (or whatever you want to call it) is unfolding the way it's unfolding and we have just to let go, 'be' and go with the flow.

jdlaw
Posted: Saturday, February 5, 2022 5:12:19 AM

Thanks Bot-tee. That Indian Philosop⁶her, Jiddu Krishnamurti seems spot on. Truth is truth I guess.. My goal with the mini-paperback was to take these things that philosophers have been saying for years about the self and then see if it could be applied to logic (and more specifically a programming logic).
jdlaw
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2022 5:21:49 AM

I added the back cover text. I think too many people have just accepted the Turing Halting Problem as sacrosanct and the reason that there will never be a computer that computes experience.

Here is the back cove text:

Hello Computer. What is …?

INPUT—PROBITY—PARSE—COUNTERFACTUAL—AND PAUSE
Imagine a Turing machine with an operating system whose only purpose is to never compute any truth to anything, but is rather purposely designed to only receive input, compute (and only compute) the data parsing of that input, and to then return only a bus error due to its own embedded error processing rules.

Now imagine that same computing machine had a separate and virtual operating system residing on top of that first operating system that took the post-mortem core dump log of the first operating system and then computed a "hedge state" (or guess) from the dump log.

Now, imagine that computing machine’s input is a self-test of an arbitrary input to first operating system and the second operating system residing on top is only to decide whether it is ever going to halt on that first input.
It’s guess would be that it would run forever no matter how simple the input even though it could never know for sure.
Kind of just like us when you think about it.

Cracking the Consciousness Code - Book
"Bot"-tee-licious
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2022 7:13:49 AM

Sorry I missed your post, jdlaw. I tend to miss posts if a person posts on the back of their previous post without anyone else posting in-between.

jdlaw wrote:
I added the back cover text. I think too many people have just accepted the Turing Halting Problem as sacrosanct and the reason that there will never be a computer that computes experience.

Let's think of the two following phrases.

1) There is neither "a computer that computes experience," nor, "a computer that does not compute experience."

2) There is neither "a self," nor, "not a self/no-self" (refer to my previous post).

On the face of it, we are in the realm of polarities colliding. These two phrases are, in fact, saying something is beyond the two binary categories. Actually, these are 'Koans' (a paradox to be meditated upon that is used to train Zen Buddhist monks to abandon ultimate dependence on reason and to force them into gaining sudden intuitive enlightenment - Merriam-Webster) to trick a person out of the illusion of binary categories!

Moreover, if a person believes there is a "self" then they oppose the idea of "no-self." If a person believes in “no-self” then they oppose the idea of "self." This splitting of the mind manifests in a multitude of ways, just like when a person believes that "a computer cannot compute experience" projects onto another that they are wrong if they believe that "a computer does compute experience."

By the way, I'm not opposed to any of your ideas jdlaw, since I'll always remain impartial. :-)

Furthermore, the aforementioned, doesn't mean letting go of the categories of "self" or "no-self," etc. There are neither "categories" nor are there "not categories." Indeed, binary thinking is a reflexive cognitive function, but, what is behind that cognitive function?