The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How long is a piece of string? Options
stendec
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:41:36 PM

Groups: Member

The question "How long is apiece of string?" reminds me of the "Does 1+1= 2 ?" thread on this forum.
This week's BBC Horizon programme reveled that its all to do with quntum mechanics. Apparently, the answer is that its length is relative its interaction with everything else around it.
The more sensitive the measurement, the more decimal places of accuracy, but surely theres a limit to this? The Planck length?
Is a piece of string therefore a Planck length?
jdlaw
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:34:56 AM

Hey Stendec,

As you know, when considering the "exact" length of anything -- to its logical ends, you just realize that you have crossed over into "quantum" theory.

Quantum Mechanics (metaphysical) simply do not jive with Newtonian Mechanics (physical).

In my mind, this already confirms the "programmed" nature of our created reality. A planck length is simply the point at which in relation to the speed of light -- any shorter length has no meaning in this reality. This is the nature of the "micro" limits to our "granular" reality.

On the "macro" level, the "light cone" concept also shows you the limits of your reality in relation to the speed of light. i.e. if a rocket ship traveling faster than the speed of light took off two seconds before the creation of this universe, it would theoretically never exist in this universe.

Another way of looking at the light cone idea, would be looking at the stars at night from our earth vantage point. We know that the light hitting our planet now that we are observing for some of the distant stars and galaxies is already billions of years old, i.e. whatever was going on at that point in the galaxy that we are observing now -- took place billions of years ago. If you take the instant the earth officially came into existence (perhaps 4.5 billion years ago) as the starting point, any light created more than 4.5 billion light years away could never exist in our reality. So, perhaps 4.5 billion light years is the "ante-planck" length?
jim
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:43:40 PM

At first glance, it would be easy to assume that the grid of space that I referred to in my response to sambuca's post 1-2-3 infinity... has units of the Planck length. It is what QM says and what makes sense logically. However, it is not necessarily the case. First of all, the true grid of reality could be coarser and the Planck length & time effects of QM merely an observational property programmed into the "program." Or, the grid could be finer with the same argument. Or, it could be the actual size. In any case, the important thing is to realize that, if we are right about programmed reality, everything we experience, including quantum effects, are simply by-products of the program. So the "truer" reality could be anything!
jdlaw
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 9:51:24 AM

In other words, there is no string?