The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

how does time exist? Options
sambuca
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:50:20 AM
Groups: Member

i think i understand the way that time works--measuring the distance between two events that we observe taking place one from the other but does time actually exist as a separate entity in a total domain to itself and we just divide and separate it into convenient nano seconds-milliseconds--hours -days-years-lightyears etc.
could time be considered a force--einstein's E=Mc squared means that energy creates matter and matter creates energy [i think] but what does it say about time?
jim
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 9:04:01 PM

Time is just the sequencing of the states of the universe. Passage of time is due to our minds processing the local segment of these states (sensory stimuli) at a much slower pace than the states actually sequence.

Here is my point of view:

We can look at the sequence of states as a collection of states or a higher level state with a dimension one higher than the total number of spatial dimension (whatever that turns out to be - we see 3, string theory says 10). That higher level state, or uberstate, is the timeless construct that mystics talk about.

I gotta blog about this one of these days, when I actually have enough "time" to do it (pun intended) Think
jdlaw
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:27:20 AM

Ah! time. Time to do the temporal things we need to do to survive and time to read the latest post on theuniversesolved.com forums.

Although we do perceive the one event following the other, we do not observe any necessary connection between the two. And according to
this skeptical epistemology, we can trust only the knowledge that we acquire from our perceptions. The usefulness of knowledge is the decision -- a fact that a traditional belief (Bayesian) network is capable of delivering can also be processed without consisting of any probability, but consisting of a true choice. A human belief which becomes knowledge is the arrogance we need to even be capable of making choices -- whether or not any probabilities are ever computed. Beginning from a position of trust, but then the learning is hedged by using the probabilities. "The central aim of many empirical studies in the physical, behavioral, social, and biological sciences is the elucidation of [the] cause-effect relationships among variables." See Theoretical Aspects Of Rationality And Knowledge Archive, Proceedings of the 6th conference on Theoretical aspects of rationality and knowledge, Judea Pearl, 1996.

But when the task of understanding time is too difficult, the mind will always make its first iteration based solely on trust (faith). So, immediately with that first iteration, our brain runs to knowlege as if we somehow know anything. Free will can be both the grand illusion and the keys to the kingdom. Free will must begin with the assumption that no fact can be considered pure knowledge because as this application teaches, facts are fleeting and absolute knowledge is only a form of arrogance.

A while back someone posted the link to imagining the 10th dimension. Doesn't much answer the question about where did time come from, but did answer pretty well, what is time? Imagining the 10th dimension

Arriving now lastly at this "Grand" question from which you started, what is time? That is of course, the ultimate question, of what is reality? Therefore, let us redefine sentience simply as the ability to have faith. But hopefully one might also appreciate now why any sentient life is nothing more than its "programming." And next, probably most importantly, the we must realize that we are the program. We must also assume that our own reality itself is in fact one big program. And let us pause ourselves here for a minute because, this idea that life itself is a simulation is nothing new, but has previously only been posited by poets and philosophers. For "Life's but a walking
shadow ... it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." William Shakespeare, MacBeth, Act V Scene 5. "If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain." Wachowski, Andy and Larry, The Matrix, Warner Bros., Village Road Show Pictures (1999). In other words, in order for us to contemplate time, we must admit that we too live in a simulated reality; we must divest ourselves from classic reality and into programming logic (to quote Dennis DeYoung ofthe rock band Styx, "Welcome to the grand illusion. Come on in and see what's happening."
Tracy
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:34:45 PM

I'm thinking that time, like dimensions of space, are virtual creations thought of in order to facilitate our virtual experience.
sambuca
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 12:31:30 PM

ok this is great ---we are getting really into deep intellectual waters here as i see my simple little query floating on the surface provoked--this may be taking the direction showing that time doesn't actually "exist"-- whoever has the time than less time is better than more time anyway than more time is more or less if it didn't exist--i for one would be happy to learn that time exists in some other realm so far removed from our daily existance that the time it takes to get here is so quick for instance -000000000.000000000000000000[2]111% or 12 tenths of a mosquito fart---this is why people the world over feel "plugged in"--if you programmed "reality" folks turn out to be right i am going to be very surprised---i lean towards random programming in a continual expanse of paths of understanding which lead to nose picking and the especially annoying--- finger tapping----------------------------- d'oh!
Tracy
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 3:25:04 PM

Finger tapping, very annoying.
RedDog
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 2:48:21 PM

I'm convinced we do not see time as it really is.
For example, there is a link to gravity and time as well as space and time.
An interesting duality. I had a great conversation with a friend about this
on more than one occasion.

The link between that which has a physical form and time has been adopted
throughout our culture and history. We have always seen the form of time
as circular, even though it is often described as an arrow. But we all know enough
about the physics of the universe to understand with gravity and space, there
are no straight lines. Mayan's along with dozens of other ancient cultures view
time in great cycles and circles. Today all our time keeping devices are generally
round.

There have been volumes written about the subject. Yet, no matter how much is researched and despite all scientific experiments,
it's true nature still eludes us all.

Nothing that has been learned, discovered, uncovered, revealed, or brought to light by man is more simple than the understanding of time.
In fact, our entire universe as we know it, and all dimensions that we are aware of, can best be understood by realizing first that it all,
at its core, is very, very simple.
We spend lifetimes and fortunes studying the complexity of our world only to realize in the end that it is all so basic, fundamental, and ....simple.

When we speak of anything as being "whole", we usually think in terms of it being round. No peaks, valleys, corners, etc.
but complete within itself. Kind of like an egg or a ball, or maybe a planet or moon, even a star ! This occurs throughout
as a result of equal pressure being applied to anything and not necessarily pertaining to just matter.
More about that last tidbit later. Given "time" all things will reach this shape. For example we can take the first page of the Bible:
"In the beginning the world was without form..." form, being that its shape was non-discript.
From the largest structure to the smallest, all began with this "form" and continually work toward either maintaining it or reverting back to it.

So, let's talk about time. Now that we understand the "rules", let's see if we can apply them to "time".
Just above, I said that "not necessarily pertaining to just matter".
I guess that is where "time" fits in, since we can't touch it, can't see it, and can't feel it, heck, we can't even smell it !
So, it must not be matter and therefore fits in this "special" category.
But does it follow the "rules"?

Many of us envision a clock when we think about time. After all, that is how it is presented to us most often.
In its basic shape, the clock is....round, a circle, one that ends and begins again.
Its hands go a"round" in circles, never ending. But to us, we know that time begins and ends.
So let's redesign our clock as it really is to us.
Take our circle (or ball) and cut it down the middle so we have to halves.

Slide the bottom half over to the right so that its left edge is lined up with the top half's right edge.

Whoa ! Time-Out ! That looks like a "sine" wave. It could even be a frequency!

Before the Big Bang, there was no space or time. What would be the purpose?
One of the most peculiar qualities of time is the fact that it is measured by motion and it also becomes evident through motion, usually light.
Which is why I find a corallary in the sine wave, which also represents motion.

That is all I have time for, for now. :-)
sambuca
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 9:05:02 AM

--very interesting red dog !----so could time actually have physical motion like a wave of light particles and we don't have the instruments to measure it that way yet and we measure it according to events we can see taking place from one to another --maybe space and time are the same entity that coexist within a structure that supports their agenda like some kind of nanoplasmagel and i have always had some intuitive feelings that gravity and time are strongly involved with one another because the more velocity one acquires in opposing gravity the slower time gets elsewhere from your departure point--
RedDog
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 4:18:34 PM

I suspect the same think Sambuca. Before the Big Bang, when everything was supposed to
be compressed as a single point, time included, points to a natural link between
space, time and gravity. They act like a holy trinity of unifying force. One without the other
is incomplete at best.
spearshaker
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:11:00 PM

The only way we measure time is with physical systems: planetary rotations and orbits, and atomic oscillations are common examples. There are no other ways, if we want to quantify it. One concludes that time as we know it is an adjunct of the matter/energy physical world that we find ourselves in. You'll note that the use of verbs ("does exist") in some sense already presupposes something we call time -- inescapably for us.

A phenomenon of ESP, precognition, demonstrates that in the wider universe of thought time is not so fundamental. Perhaps Jim's "sequencing of states" is as close as we can come.
minorwork
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:54:09 AM

spearshaker wrote:
The only way we measure time is with physical systems: planetary rotations and orbits, and atomic oscillations are common examples. There are no other ways, if we want to quantify it. One concludes that time as we know it is an adjunct of the matter/energy physical world that we find ourselves in. You'll note that the use of verbs ("does exist") in some sense already presupposes something we call time -- inescapably for us.

A phenomenon of ESP, precognition, demonstrates that in the wider universe of thought time is not so fundamental. Perhaps Jim's "sequencing of states" is as close as we can come.
Yes. Doesn't the way time is measured give some clue as to its nature and what the word means, at least in our scientific use?

Time is the relationship of the length of one thing compared to the length of another, one distance/another distance. Miles/hour is miles/distance a pendulum travels. A Revaluation of Time by Mile Mathis.

But this sense of time is not that of ontological "lived time." That sense entails the perception of duration which will be shown to be the result of many biological clocks operating within range of other such clocks that synchronize and desynchronize. If the clock in the pancreas gets screwed up then insulin control suffers. If the highly variable judgments of duration is an indication, then there are many "clocks" accessible to consciousness whose undisciplined interplay result in a "feeling" of variability in the passing of time.

The clock mechanisms, chemical reactions, in organisms, whether single or multi-celled, give rise as an explanation for phenomena that are ascribed to memory. A single celled slime mold, an amoeba, anticipates events apparently without the need for a brain and neurons.

Ants count. They count steps. If a couple of their legs are made longer they do not come back to the same place they started. Distance equals lenths of steps, over distance to base camp. distance/distance

The most merciful thing in the world ... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but someday the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality... That we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.� - H. P. Lovecraft
jim
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 1:28:30 PM

Interesting observations, minorwork. I didn't know that about the ants and biological clocks.

Robert Lanza writes that time doesn't exist at all outside of our consciousness. He also notes that if you travel at the speed of light, you can be everywhere in the universe at once. I'm not sure if that is quite true, but it certainly makes you think about the pliability of time.

To me, relativity is about visual perception only. True time in our reality may be nothing more than counting the number of cosmic clock cycles between two events.
Glupidio
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 3:09:46 PM

I can think of a couple possibilities:

1. Our notion of time exists as an invention used to measure change relative to a fixed frequency.

or perhaps

2. Time could be the force that drives all change. Time=God.

Hmm. Maybe both. If these options are correct, traveling back in time is simply not possible. It would require re-arranging every particle in the universe back into precisely the same position it was in at the "desired time."

Our perception of time is another whole discussion, as its measurement seems to vary depending on how fast we are moving.
jim
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 1:01:59 PM

Hi Glupidio,

Great to see you on the forum, my Twitter friend! Interesting observations.

Einstein said that if we travel faster than the speed of light, we would travel back in time. Yet, entanglement seems to imply a faster than light (FTL) connection between particles.

But if the big bang idea was at all correct, then all particles were once entangled. So, by that logic, everything in the universe is entangled, right?

Or, if the Programmed Reality theory is correct, then FTL is meaningless as well, because everything is updated with every clock cycle, and it is the logic of the program that is FTL.

In either case, that would seem to argue that backwards time travel is possible. That "rearrangement" you speak of could be nothing more than a data restore (like when you archive the state of your computer, wipe it clean, and then restore it some time later.

Or, for those who don't buy the Programmed Reality model, maybe it is consciousness that travels back in time, since according to QM, it is consciousness that creates reality anyway. Seems less difficult for consciousness to make the journey, than a physical being, right?

Thoughts?
RedDog
Posted: Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:54:26 AM

I'm becoming more convinced that time as we know and experience it, is incomplete.
Just like our understanding of Light speed and Gravity.
I think we are looking at, experiencing these effects from a limited dimensional awareness.
This is what drives the Programmed Reality perspective. From our perspective it does
indeed looked programmed.

If Lanza's idea is a more complete perspective, and we could experience these effects
at the speed of light, with no mass, and all time, then we would see these effects in a different
way.

The best way to view Time or Light or Gravity is off to the side, and imagine looking at a
calm pool of water. Now lower a cognition viewing screen parallel and flat, close to the surface
of the pool. Now drop a stone in the pool and notice the entire pool reacts to the stone, and
the surface developes ripples, of which the crests of the ripples contact the cognition viewing
screen, which represents us. We experience only a specific dimension of the events that
come into contact with our conscious universe.

Off to the side we can see a larger truth about these effects of Time, Gravity and Light all
coming from one large pool.

This makes me think that these effects are not constants in fact, only in a thin plane of our
realilty do they exhibit constant behaviours.
Glupidio
Posted: Monday, August 2, 2010 12:13:56 PM

jim wrote:
Thoughts?

I tend to lean more toward the Programmed reality model, in that time appears to behave a lot like a CPU clock, relentlessly marching data along (forcing change) with every tick. I am struggling with how we might get our hands on this computer and do a wipe and restore however. Someone is going to have to invent a Red Pill to pull that off methinks.

By the way, if time isn't the force behind change. What is?

The idea of consciousness moving independent of a physical being through time makes my head hurt.

-Glupidio
sambuca
Posted: Saturday, August 7, 2010 8:19:58 AM

hi glupidio---your idea of consciousness as independent of the physical being sort of coincides with my hypothisis that perhaps it does exist after we "die" independent of the physical brain that created it in an electromagnetic domain somewhere and i hope it would have the ability to communicate with others like it for otherwise the very gloomy existence of just being aware of one's own lifetime of memories and thoughts makes my head hurt even worse!