The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Favorite Quotes Options
jim
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:14:09 PM

Groups: Member

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it."

-Thomas Jefferson
spearshaker
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:53:56 PM

An extract from Eve’s Dairy by Mark Twain (1905):

“With all my watching, I was never smart enough to be around when the water was running uphill. . . . I have experimented and experimented until now I know it never does run uphill, except in the dark. I know it does in the dark, because the pool never goes dry, which it would, of course, if the water didn't come back in the night. It is best to prove things by actual experiment; then you KNOW; whereas if you depend on guessing and supposing and conjecturing, you never get educated.”

This is precisely the logic inherent in the discovery of dark matter and dark energy. That is, that they are "matter" and "energy" respectively.

Twain refers to the Eve. She goes way back, you know.
jim
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:26:23 PM

Love the Mark Twain quotes.

We are all related to somebody of note. It's just a matter of digging. In my case, the closest well known historical figure is Samuel Clemens, my great-great-grandmother's 6th cousin. LOL! See this page (scroll to the bottom):

http://www.elvidge.com/users/jimbo/family/genealogy.htm
Neo
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:46:09 AM

Wow, cool family tree, JimDrool ! William the conqueror, eh; I've Norman roots also, I'm thinking they came over with William to Britian via France, then were granted lands in Wales, before eventually hopping over to Ireland as part of the Norman invasion there. Wonder how this fits in with programmed reality?Think

There is no spoon.
jim
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:15:04 PM

Great question, Neo. I read somewhere that about 80% of people with Northern European roots most likely have William the Conqueror as an ancestor, so you've got a pretty good chance!

About the Programmed Reality aspect, that is one of those things about the Simulation idea that is probably the hardest to come to terms with - that the sim could theoretically have started at any time and, therefore, all history (artifacts and memories) prior to the t=0 point of the sim was simply the initial state of the sim. If so, all the genealogy stuff is just another puzzle for our entertainment, right? When you think about it, is it any more outlandish than any other aspect of the idea?

The other way to look at Programmed Reality would be the programmable physical manifestation of the universe. Which would certainly be a sim developed by someone with a very different sense of time than we have.
Neo
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:03:30 PM

jim wrote:
Great question, Neo. I read somewhere that about 80% of people with Northern European roots most likely have William the Conqueror as an ancestor, so you've got a pretty good chance!

Indeed:

http://www.william1.co.uk/

There is no spoon.
Jannsun
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2011 7:58:15 AM

I'm new here. Here is a favorite quote of mine: .
“We are God’s Memory Palace. We are an interactive holographic construct of dynamic memory being visualized by a higher form of Consciousness.”
(Jann Burner)
Peter
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 12:10:05 AM

Without consciousness there would, practically speaking, be no world, for the world exists as such only in so far as it is consciously reflected and considered by a psyche. Consciousness is a precondition of being.

Carl Jung, The Undiscovered Self (1958)
jim
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:22:28 PM

"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."
(seen on a flyer in Ireland)
jim
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:39:33 PM

"But maybe we are all linked in to a giant computer simulation that sends a signal of pain when we send a motor signal to swing an imaginary foot at an imaginary stone. Maybe we are characters in a computer game played by aliens."
- Stephen Hawking
LoneCrowe
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:15:30 PM

jim wrote:
"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it."

-Thomas Jefferson

That is entirely true.

When things get tough, I noticed that mainly in my life i'd try and hide and become a recluse. Some times I'd try harder and work harder. It seems to be the only thing that gets the ball rolling. This is the whole "secret" philosophy which is nothing more than an old Zen way. Where your thoughts flow, your life goes. Work hard accomplish little goals here and there and day by day confidence grows and that puts the positive energy back into the world that you will reap in return.

My wife and I did a test on this and tried the whole "Secret" thing. We had a puppy who needed a companion when we were not home but we didnt want another puppy, we wanted one that was older and could keep tabs on the puppy and help her along. We put our intention to the universe that one would drop right in our lap and arrive at our front door. Poof a week later my mom shows up with a small older dog who she found under her car. Was pefect for out puppy.

It does work.
Neo
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:07:19 PM

jim wrote:
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."
(seen on a flyer in Ireland)

Saw this yourself, Jim?

There is no spoon.
jim
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:46:56 PM

Sadly, no, Neo. Would love to visit Ireland one of these days, though!

This quote was seen by a friend or colleague - don't remember who. ;)
LoneCrowe
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:47:54 AM

I'm looking to go to Ireland myself hopefully in the next couple years if we make it past this year :)

Found my GGGGrandfather came from Waterford so I want to check out where he used to live etc. Get drunk in the same pubs if they are still there :)
jim
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:30:19 PM

Great idea, LoneCrowe! Several years ago, I made the pilgrimage to Beverley, Yorkshire, England, where several generations of my paternal line lived. Visited the church they all got married in, spent some time in the office of genealogy records, and had dinner and drinks in the local pub. Overall, a very rewarding trip.
Tracy
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 9:28:54 AM

Peter:
Quote:
Without consciousness there would, practically speaking, be no world, for the world exists as such only in so far as it is consciously reflected and considered by a psyche. Consciousness is a precondition of being.

Carl Jung, The Undiscovered Self (1958)

Jannsun:
Quote:
“We are God’s Memory Palace. We are an interactive holographic construct of dynamic memory being visualized by a higher form of Consciousness.”
(Jann Burner)

Those are both good ones.Applause
Tracy
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 5:59:25 AM

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."
L. Ron Hubbard (to The Eastern Science Fiction Association in 1948)
LoneCrowe
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 6:35:01 AM

Tracy wrote:
"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."
L. Ron Hubbard (to The Eastern Science Fiction Association in 1948)

Hah how ironic. I never heard that one about him but I'm well versed in their "religion".
Tracy
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2012 1:26:51 PM

You could write a sci-fi novel based on the life of L. Ron Hubbard. I read once somewhere that his followers infiltrated both the FBI and the CIA.
jim
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:17:05 PM

"Consciousness does not happen in the brain…. What determines and controls the character of conscious experience is not the associated neural activity. It is misguided to search for neural correlates of consciousness: there are no such neural structures. That is why we have been unable to come up with a good explanation of its neural basis…. The idea that we are our brains is not something scientists have learned; it is rather a preconception"

- Alva Noe