The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Roger V's New Post Options
ebb101
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 4:48:48 AM
Groups: Member

Pretty happy to see that Roger V has started his new blog on the site...

http://www.theuniversesolved.com/theuniversesolved/blog/author/rogerv.aspx

Excellent inaugural post.
Tracy
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 4:12:50 PM

Don't know what to say.
Great post, a must read.
Cannot rate it highly enough.
Great post.
jim
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 9:38:14 PM

Two big thumbs up for RogerV's inaugural post. Applause

I really like the way he established a context for everything to come. Now I can't wait for the next one!

Such a great way to get to know something special about a fellow forum member, too.
Neo
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 9:56:50 PM

Just read it: Applause (nearest I could get to a 'thumbs up')

Very intriguing post indeed.

There is no spoon.
Ocean
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:29:31 PM

Hi all,
Short-time visitor/first-time poster here.
I read Roger's post earlier and I do appreciate his introduction. No better way to grok the meaning of life than to contemplate our own observations and experiences.
Speaking of the 80's I remember the T-shirt slogan "question authority". Seems the slogan for the new millenium is "question reality". And I certainly do.
Excellent post, Roger. I look forward to reading more.
jim
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:18:59 PM

Welcome to the Forum, Ocean! Great to see another new member.
RogerV
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:54:36 PM

I posted a link over on the Moody Blues fan site to my Moody Blues article that resides at this site.

It was a wildly popular item resulting in over 4700 views and about 97 replies on the discussion forum so far. Dwarfs everything else posted there.

So on that forum thread I dropped a link to my inaugural Where Soul Meets Body posting.

There is one individual on that forum, goes by brown_acid, that intends to be the voice of reason - or in this case sanity. Yes, the 's' word has been dropped - I'm evidently a schizophrenic.

Guess my first blog posting has pushed a particular boundary a bit too far...

Here's a link to start reading from if you're curious as to brown_acid's diagnosis.

Bye for now - am off to hallucinate my next delusional episode.
Ocean
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:25:04 PM

jim wrote:
Welcome to the Forum, Ocean! Great to see another new member.

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the greeting. I found my way to this forum after listening to your Red Ice Creations interview. (Well, the first hour of the interview as I'm not a subscriber to Red Ice, but that was enough to get me here.) I have not read your book yet, although I know I will.
I am intrigued by the notion of: just how close can technology get to "the real thing"? And... are we already there? I think you're on the right track.

RogerV wrote:
...if you're curious as to brown_acid's diagnosis.

I got as far as brown_acid asking - "What does consciousness have to do with quantum physics?" on the first page of that thread.
Then I went into a blank stare.
And then I ran away. Brick wall

You might want to consider doing the same. Angel
jim
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:20:30 PM

Yeah, I'm with Ocean on this. For somebody with a "brown_acid" moniker, I would have expected a little more open-mindedness. Guess you can't read an avatar by its name.
RogerV
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 12:57:18 AM

Seriously? No Death Cab for Cutie fans coming through here?

Was rather expecting someone to call me out for an unoriginal title.

I kind of thought would be good to have a theme song to go with the blog, though, and Death Cab were formed in Bellingham, Washington, so they're home boys.

Death Cab For Cutie - Soul Meets Body

Quote:
Cause in my head there's a Greyhound station,
Where I send my thoughts to far-off destinations.
So they may have a chance of finding a place where,
They're far more suited than here
RogerV
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 7:41:24 PM

If my inaugural blog piece resonated with you on some level, then you might enjoy this podcast with British author and researcher, Anthony Peake:

Anthony Peake - Hour 1 - The Nature of Reality & Twilight Zones of Consciousness
February 23, 2012

This guy can speak very quickly but with great articulation ability.

There's a description on the Many Worlds interpretation of quantum physics that simply posits it as all potentiality that exist and that observation (consciousness) collapses that wave function of potentiality - it's a more reasonable way (in my opinion) to state the theory than the usual take (most approaches are stated from a presumption of a strictly materialistic view).

In last couple of months I've had occasions of hypnagogia, which is talked about in the podcast. In my case I will have this momentary flash of a scene that has the quality of a digital camera vivid photograph, yet it is a scene of place or situation I've never experienced before.

Anthony Peake website

Anthony Peake & Tom Campbell - Consciousness Creates Reality
February 1, 2011

I tend to be more of a Cambelite than a Peakonian, though. I find Campbell's Big TOE more cogent overall as it adheres to a very streamlined concept of information processing substrate, i.e., virtual realities - all the way down.

Plus it does not require infinite parallel universes. Parallel virtual realities yes. But not forking of a universe based on every electron spin state change. The concept of infinite physical universes forking on every change of quantum state is I think the most absurd idea ever to be put forth as a scientific theory - just my personal opinion. Being a software guy, I find software virtualization concept of Cambell's Big TOE not only of superior explanatory power for the entire range of known human experience but it also accords very well with good old Occam.

I like Peake's Gnosticism, though. I have a huge soft spot for the 1st/2nd/3rd century Christian Gnostics and the Cathars. (Their big concept ideas tend to be right on - their explanations are, of course, what you'd expect from pre-scientific vocabulary culture. Their Demiurge concept is one of the things that Orthodox Christians get really up tight with them about but it's actually one of their more brilliant realizations and in their era explained a lot. In a future blog posting I'll bring the Demiurge up to date to our contemporary era.)

The Gnostic Daemon/Eidolon is how to make sense of the concept of karma. The Daemon higher self retains all accumulated knowledge gained through incarnations which is used to the benefit of the Eidolon lower self as it lives out a mortal life.
Brown_Acid
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 7:27:44 AM

RogerV wrote:
I posted a link over on the Moody Blues fan site to my Moody Blues article that resides at this site.

It was a wildly popular item resulting in over 4700 views and about 97 replies on the discussion forum so far. Dwarfs everything else posted there.

So on that forum thread I dropped a link to my inaugural Where Soul Meets Body posting.

There is one individual on that forum, goes by brown_acid, that intends to be the voice of reason - or in this case sanity. Yes, the 's' word has been dropped - I'm evidently a schizophrenic.

Guess my first blog posting has pushed a particular boundary a bit too far...

Here's a link to start reading from if you're curious as to brown_acid's diagnosis.

Bye for now - am off to hallucinate my next delusional episode.

Hello everyone, I'm the notoriously infamous Brown_Acid and this will likely be my one and only post, simply to clear things up for the record so to speak...

First and foremost, I never called Roger a Schizophrenic. I simply wrote in response to his post on numerical syncronicity and based on a psychology experiement, that there are essentially two groups of people in this world, believers and non believers. The believers have certain cognitive proclivities towards all things or most things "mystical". Example, UFO's, God, telepathy that sort of thing. The non-believers question everything, and look for common sense, empirically based explanations to explain away any given phenomena. I wont get into the particulars of the experiment here but essentially the experiments quantifies to some degree these two groups in terms of patternicity and agenticity. On a linear scale, a spectrum from non believers to believers are "degrees" of openness progressing to full out unencumbered "meanings" to just about everything over and under the sun, which is analagous to schizophrenic behaviours, barring violent behaviour associated with some schizophrenics.
I simply said that RogerV swings a tad toward the schizophrenic end of the spectrum. Similarly, there is an autistic spectrum disorder ranging from normal to full out autism and in between you have very high functioning savants ie Daniel Tammet, Temple Grandin both of which have Asbergers syndrome.

RogerV seems to brag about his "wildly popular item dwarfing every other post" on the Moody Blues Today website. The title of his post was on "Soul Manifesting Music". How he had strayed considerably from that subject matter ranging from music to aspects of quantum consciousness, to a personal experience he is currently having regardin numerical syncronicty, the list really goes on and on with no correlation at all to each other and the original post title.

And a word to Ocean in regards to "What does consciousness have to do with Quantum mechanics". If you want to claim you have an open mind, maybe just maybe you should have read the rest of my posting to see what I actually had to say. Open mind indeed. But people, lets not be so open minded that your brain falls out of your skull.

RogerV
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 7:35:42 PM

That was a well said piece, Jim: Pathological Skepticism

Adding Eratosthenes of 3rd century BCE to your list, historian of science, Dr. George Sarton, had this to say: “there was among them a man of genius but as he was working in a new field they were too stupid to recognize him”.

Guess Dr. Sarton was not what one would call a dispassionate historian.

In general it seems like only evolutionary advances to knowledge get much acceptance initially. The things that shift the paradigms don't often get a pat on the back and an "at a boy!" (or an "at a girl!").

Hellenistic science and culture in the last three centuries B.C.
By George Sarton
jim
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 10:21:23 PM

Thanks, RogerV. Great minds think alike - I was also reminded of that post when I read Brown_Acid's post.

Brown_Acid, welcome to the forum. We welcome skeptics and non-skeptics alike. Feel free to read the post that RogerV referred to: Pathological Skepticism. We would certainly welcome your point of view.

I totally get the criticism of those who are wide-eyed and willing to believe anything, just because it is fun and different. Yet is it any worse to instantly reject an idea because it sounds foreign, despite solid logic, math, and/or science behind it. Some in the skeptical community seem to blindly accept ideas such as string theory or a Hilbert space of parallel universes, for which there is absolutely no compelling evidence. Yet they will react religiously against topics for which there is overwhelming evidence, like certain paranormal phenomena or cold fusion. It's almost like the "skeptic's dogma" - this one is bad, this one is good, and there is no gray area for further research (sounds like some of the laws in Deuteronomy). Fact is, much of what scientists investigate today - cosmological anomalies, nature of reality, teleportation, cloaking, cloning, etc. - was fodder for yesterday's skeptic to poke fun at.

And it certainly is curious (one might even say inflammatory) that someone might correlate open-mindedness with schizophrenia. Taking something like seeing patterns as potential evidence for a certain type of underlying reality is not unscientific. It is merely a hypothesis, aka the first step in the scientific method. The next steps are the hard ones.

But rejecting a hypothesis because it doesn't feel right IS unscientific. And such behavior would have prevented many a breakthrough in science, as I am sure you are well aware.