The Universe Solved

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What's on your Reading List? Options
jim
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:57:29 PM

Groups: Member

A recent exchange with EKUMA1981 got me thinking that it might be interesting for us all to share the books that are on our reading list. I've gotten into a bad habit of starting books and not finishing them, so I have quite a few in my queue:

- All the Devils are Here - Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera (this is a history of the 2008 financial crisis)

- Family of Secrets - Russ Baker (about the Bush dynasty and America's invisible government)

- How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe - Charles Yu (novel)

- The True Story of the Bilderberg Group - Daniel Estulin

- London - Edward Rutherfurd (historical fiction)

- The Lean Startup - Eric Ries (this one is work related)

Would love to see everyone else's reading list.
EKUMA1981
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:44:24 PM

The Singularity Is Near, by Ray Kurzweil (can't seem to finish this book). My fave section (so far) is the Six Epochs. The last epoch where the "universe wakes up" is the best. :o)

A New Kind of Science, by Stephen Wolfram (don't think I'll ever finish this one. Far too long). Interesting, but very monotonous after a while. I can only take so many cellular automata.

UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On The Record, by Leslie Kean. Leslie Kean is a great UFO investigator, very professional. Great collection of anecdotes too.

Clair...What?: Intuitive Development, by April Lugo. The author talks about all the known "clairs" (clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairsentience, clairessence, clairgustance and claircognizance. I think I've had experience with 2 of them (sentience and cognizance). April also mentions Shamanism, channelling, mediumship, dreams and more.

God, Creation and Contemporary Physics, by Mark William Worthing (theology and the sciences). The Omega Point is mentioned in this tome (one of my fave theories).

jim
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:34:57 PM

Great stuff, EKUMA1981. Sounds right up my alley too. I think I finished The Singularity is Near; can't remember. Wolfram's book is on my shelf, but I'm with you on the cellular automata.
Neo
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:38:41 PM

I ordered about 5 Vernor Vinge books over the net a few years ago, and have finished...1. Surprising really as I thought the one I read ("True Names") was excellent!

There is no spoon.
RogerV
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:03:01 PM

Dudes! Don't yawn at or pooh pooh the cellar automata too hastily. They might be the key to building actual realities.

From a trinity of a so-called elemental binary state (where the third element of the trinity is that which separates/actuates the two states), one could have the bare modicum from which to begin to evolve some sort of primal substrate of reality. Out of this elemental (indeed, ultimate) concept of a Trinity, then derive more complex cellar automata.

After trillions upon trillions upon trillions of iterations, some cellar automata begin to systematically replicate, giving rise to even more self-organization:

First replicating creature spawned in life simulator

First self-replicating mathematical creature

From there it will be a pretty quick path to arriving at something we might consider the primal consciousness or the embryonic God (the evolving cellar automata begin to, in effect, program themselves). Complexity eventually arises to the point that at any examination of all reality, it will more or less resemble what there is now (lots of virtual realities and hierarchical orders of virtual realities). Fundamentally self-programming (what we dub our experience of consciousness and perceived existence) is still pretty much what is going on (where we as individuals are merely parts of the super program of existence).

Complexity is achieved by software programming, layer building upon layer, etc. Consider that any immersive shooter game is a complex VM experience where the substrate of said VM is just a plenum of binary states.

The secret sauce for this manner of evolution is that the elemental Trinity is highly constrained - and likewise the cellar automata it gives rise to. (The manner of evolution proposed by Darwinian materialist to explain the origin of first biological cellar life, on the other hand, is a highly unconstrained problem by comparison and is essentially an impossibility to arise without a priori intelligence involved.)

Contrast that to the kit of parts one has to have to give rise to a so-called material universe. The model of a material universe has lots of constituent parts and processes that all have to be in very precise relationship.

Occam's Razor principle yet again, if one believes said principle should steer toward the least complex set of assumptions and prerequisites that can explain observation, appears to point toward a virtual reality stack - a pile of VM turtles all the way down to primordial cellar automata.

The very bedrock substrate need only be something upon which the elemental Trinity can be impinged ad infinitum. No doubt the plenum of nothingness is likewise infinite as well.

Consciousness is preeminent over matter/energy because it turns out giving rise to consciousness first (that is capable of self-programming and constructing virtual realities) is actually a much more highly constrained problem than explaining the origin of innately existent material universe (or multiverse).
terrorgoat
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 6:31:34 PM

Oooo I like this topic.

1. The Sync Book - Alan Abbadessa (Syncromysticism)

2. A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe (A Journey from 1 through 10) Michael S. Snyder

3. Money Grows on the Tree of Knowledge - Tracy Twyman.

I'm not as smart as you guys about codes and stuff so I have to stay more on the mystical "feeling" side :)

"The only true wisdom exists in knowing that you know nothing."
- The Mighty Socrates (Not the fake Socrates Plato wrote about in "The Republic.")
Tracy
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:47:16 PM

A book written by my Granddad on Mom's side of the family, about growing up in the Appalachian region back in the day.
An Aunt of mine made copies of it, one of which I got just now.
jim
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:49:20 PM

RogerV wrote:
Dudes! Don't yawn at or pooh pooh the cellar automata too hastily. They might be the key to building actual realities.

RogerV et al - I very recently had a revelation about cellular automata. While I admittedly never really grasped the significance of the concept, something struck me as I was developing a paper on "things that we can't perceive" and pondering the nature of matter/mass. As it turns out, no one really understands what matter is. Historically, scientists have though of particles as little "billiard balls" of matter - first atoms, then nuclear particles (electrons, protons, neutrons), then the subordinate subatomic particles (quarks, mesons, etc.). String theorists speculate that these particles are all just vibrating bits of string, implying that the string is the fundamental building block of matter. But no one really knows.

String theory is purely a mathematical concept.

On this site, we suspect that information underlies all of reality. Indeed, there is tremendous evidence that supports this idea; the discrete nature of quantum mechanics, and the correlation of thermodynamics and information theory to name two.

So, if the fundamental building blocks of reality are elements of data, how does matter emerge?

That's when it hit me.

Cellular automata.

If reality is just data at the deepest level, but there are rules that govern how adjacent elements of data behave when interacting with each other, perhaps matter emerges in an analogous matter to the way gliders and blinkers emerge in the game of life.

I haven't read Wolfram's book, so I don't know if this was his big revelation. If so, please let me know, and then you can ignore this post as I endeavor to catch up. If not, I'll endeavor to establish this idea further in the near future.
RogerV
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 7:00:35 AM

Exactly, Jim.

Wolfram's book attempts to illustrate that the natural laws might arise from cellar automata. The concept rather implies that the reality of our cosmos that we observe is a software virtual machine. I haven't seen Wolfram pick up that particular mantel, though, and run with it. Maybe he has and I haven't seen it.

This particular concept appeals to me because it seems to be the most minimalistic means (fewest assumptions and a priori requirements) that one could imagine any manner of complex reality emerging from. The plenum of the cellar automata is a far less stringent starting point than a full blown material reality that springs into existence with the Standard Model of sub atomic particles and four basic forces already to go - and all the various ratios of the universe ultra fine tuned. (Plus, as you say, there hasn't turned out to be any innately existing tiny marbles - just information states, which implies a higher order meta existence of some sort.)

What the cellar automata has to do, though, is iterate (evolve) to the point of being able to replicate. And then at some point iterate (evolve) to the point of being self-programming. Probably the whole time there is some overarching principle in play too, like Tom Cambell's concept of this system constantly evolving to lower its entropy.

Which, BTW, I see Wolfram's concepts and Tom's concepts to be a natural marriage.
LoneCrowe
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:37:29 AM

One very small book you have to read if you already haven't. I don't entirely trust Whitley Strieber but something about this book has rung true to me in many many different ways.

It is called "The Key". http://www.amazon.ca/The-Key-A-True-Encounter/dp/1585428698

All grandiose universal things aside we still live in this physical world of rules and beings, even though holographic in nature. It still "is". Other advanced societies may have already figure it all out and use it to its own advantage for a greater plan.

It has been said that our time on the planet is calculated very distinctly as it has on other planets. The development of the species on this planet is in the final days before a decision is made and there is a changing of the guard. This is why we have all the astronomical alignments of temples and buildings using construction methods we still cannot duplicate today. It is a record in stone warning us of the end of the ages, and the hourglass. We are given so much time to develop before we reach the point of development where we become a singularity and self destruct or give birth to something new and great.

The master of the key says that if we do not rise above it all that we will be turned under with the hoe of forgetfulness again. This is not the first incarnation of humans on the planet.

I would recommend the book at least for its entertainment and "what if" purposes.
LoneCrowe
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:04:30 PM

One other book I'd recommend is Journey of Souls. It desribes people who have been regressed to the point where they remember life IN BETWEEN lives. There it is described that we are put into a sort of hole full of computer screens watching potential next lives to choose from with challenges and things to overcome.

http://www.amazon.ca/Journey-Souls-Studies-Between-Lives/dp/1567184855

I highly recommend it.

Book Description
This remarkable book uncovers--for the first time--the mystery of life in the spirit world after death on earth. Dr. Michael Newton, a hypnotherapist in private practice, has developed his own hypnosis technique to reach his subjects' hidden memories of the hereafter. The resulting narrative acts as a progressive "travel log" of the accounts of twenty-nine people who were placed in a state of superconsciousness. While in deep hypnosis, these subjects movingly describe what has happened to them between their former reincarnations on earth. They reveal graphic details about how it feels to die, who meets us right after death, what the spirit world is really like, where we go and what we do as souls, and why we choose to come back in certain bodies.
RogerV
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:14:36 PM

I'd say a key take away from your two comments here, LoneCrowe, is the need for a holistic approach to trying to understand what's going on.

Can't delve into just conventional science and physics by itself to get the sufficient answers. Is why I spend lots of time combing ancient history and religions - trying to tease out what things of credibility that our ancestors figured out too (or got from somewhere). Looking into so-called paranormal phenomena - the outliers. Near death experience studies for sure. Esoteric knowledge/wisdom, secret societies/orders, conspiracies, social engineering (overt and hidden). And of course stuff dealing with altered consciousness - LSD and DMT studies or even hypnotic regression stuff or Monroe Institute kind of stuff.

Okay, I admit, channeling and automatic writing stuff is one area I don't bother to tread into. Guess I have a rather low trust factor for that manner of gnosis...yeah, I know - that coming from a guy that is all about the value of gnosis.
EKUMA1981
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:45:47 PM

Yes, a holistic approach is (I feel) the best way to try to get to the bottom of it all. This is my strategy and I'm progressing in my research steadily at the moment.

RogerV, I would recommend you research channelling and automatic writing, instead of omitting them completely. There could be a lot to learn and the knowledge that could be acquired in this way could transform the world.

However, I know what you mean, RogerV. I'm dubious of many so-called channellers out there. The information they provide could easily come from their imaginations or sub-conscious minds. I'd like to hear something profound from them. Something that would prove the knowledge is NOT been generated in their brains and is in fact originating from an unknown location/source.
LoneCrowe
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 7:22:28 PM

RogerV wrote:
I'd say a key take away from your two comments here, LoneCrowe, is the need for a holistic approach to trying to understand what's going on.

Can't delve into just conventional science and physics by itself to get the sufficient answers. Is why I spend lots of time combing ancient history and religions - trying to tease out what things of credibility that our ancestors figured out too (or got from somewhere). Looking into so-called paranormal phenomena - the outliers. Near death experience studies for sure. Esoteric knowledge/wisdom, secret societies/orders, conspiracies, social engineering (overt and hidden). And of course stuff dealing with altered consciousness - LSD and DMT studies or even hypnotic regression stuff or Monroe Institute kind of stuff.

Okay, I admit, channeling and automatic writing stuff is one area I don't bother to tread into. Guess I have a rather low trust factor for that manner of gnosis...yeah, I know - that coming from a guy that is all about the value of gnosis.

Exactly. I'm not a big believer in channeling or automatic writing etc. I think that the universe is made up well... everything. To not take a wide perspective on things limits what you will find. There really are no truths other than what you perceive. You create your own reality. It is a zen thing. What you believe is what you believe. There can be evidence to disprove what you believe but if you believe it deep down that is truth. You may think a car is red and I may think it is blue. It is only what we've agreed upon. I could think that is a truck, and you could think it is a car. I could think it is a jumble of atoms, and you could think it is a simulated vehicle. Most people think its a car. All can be true. But I like to look at things from all angles and perspectives. The scientific method is great for uncovering all the under the hood mechanic of the universe but it doesn't explain the philosophy behind it or the meaning or the reasons. Or the possibilities. Science will never be able to explain it all.

Drugs, and other mind expanding or perception altering substances can help some people for sure. That is why I am not against them or any person's attempt at trying to find truth. I don't buy into all of it but I also don't discount that it could be truth to "them".
ProvidenceChild
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:10:17 PM

Just finished reading Strange Life of Ivan Osokin by P. D. Ouspensky (If you are interested in the notion of Eternal Return, a must-read)
Before that, The Great Divorce by C.S Lewis and Neuromancer by William Gibson before that.

This might well end up being the thread I am forever found in. Great idea!
EKUMA1981
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:31:25 PM

Hi there, Providence Child. Welcome to the forum.
Techne
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 8:10:12 PM

been distanced for a while, but i'm around.

Books I've read recently or am reading currently:

Snow Crash
Do androids dream of electric sheep
clan of the cave bear
nueromanser
Mountains of majipoor

One of my all time favorite series was called Otherland by Tad Williams. If your looking for Near future VR, immortality, fantasy, scifi all in one, that's it. Which Jim, if you haven't tried Otherland, I know for sure, you would love it.

Of course I'm also reading Jim's book The universe Solved. I'm on the last section.
jim
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:22:07 PM

Techne wrote:
Which Jim, if you haven't tried Otherland, I know for sure, you would love it.

Thanks for the tip, Techne. I'll add that to my list. Snow Crash was one of my favorites - I liked it a lot better than Neuromancer for some reason. What did you think of the others on your list?

I just started reading "Consciousness Beyond Life" by Pim van Lommel. I highly recommend it. He presents a very convincing case for the idea of consciousness being external to the human brain. It definitely has gotten the wheels turning about how the mechanism might work and what the brain is REALLY for.
ProvidenceChild
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:53:31 PM

Ekuma1981, thank you for the welcome. Much appreciated. And I must say I find the general ambience around here pretty chilled and welcoming Applause

I have another new ones to add to the list...

Finished Talks with a Devil (PD Ouspensky) yesterday which is rich in Gnosis for those that can decode such text and have resumed The Idiot (Dostoevsky), which literally is the gut of all futile human endeavours laid bare. What do we 'avatars' exist for but to strive at nothingness only to fail and start again... And to break it up, I have the Gestalt for Beginners (Sergio Sinay) which is more for CPD, though I do desire to know every theory and principle developed to do with the human condition because I am weird like that.

Jim, checked out your rec for 'How to Live Safely...' and have just deduced that the term 'Time-Loop' is just a modernisation of eternal recurrence!!! Any thoughts? And no, I wasn't enamoured with Neuromancer either. Found it bitty, and no that isn't a sad attempt at a joke! The next two I am starting are To Live Again by Siverberg, a sci-fi author I have never read before. Then Wetwares: Experiments in Postvital Living by Richard Doyle which sounds very promising. Have you read it?
jim
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 11:04:15 PM

Hey all,

I updated my recommended reading list here: http://www.theuniversesolved.com/recommendedbooks.htm

But I would also like to hear from everyone else. What are you reading these days that has tickled your imagination?